PDA

View Full Version : Array and spreading meshes...

Mishou
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Maybe I can't see where in XSI this feature is located-exists or not? If it does not exists someone can tell me how to create an array?

My other question is: can I spread meshes on the surface of another one, like painting with meshes?

Please forgive my lowsy english!

grahamef
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
To create an array, choose Edit > Duplicate/Instantiate > Duplicate Multiple (or Ctrl+Shift+D) and enter the offsets on the Transform tab under Duplicate Options.

Or if you prefer, you can duplicate all the copies at the same location and then enter "L(min, max)" in the Transform number boxes on the MCP at right to spread them out in linear increments between min and max. Note that you might need to substitute ";" for "," if your computer settings use the comma as the decimal separator.

To "paint" a mesh on another object, use the Duplicate brush with snapping. Make sure that snapping to facets is enabled, select the mesh you want to paint, press D, and click away.

If the object you want to spread them over is a NURBS surface, you also have the possibility of duplicating the mesh, constaining the copies to the NURBS surface (Constrain > Surface), and then spreading them out by entering "L(min, max)" or "R(min, max)" for random distribution or "G(mean, var)" for Gaussian distribution in the U and V Location boxes.

By the way, you can use the L, R, and G tricks in any numeric box whenever you have multiple objects selected.

comanche
01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
You could also create an array via Netview (Alt + 5). Go to model > create > array.

Regards,
Andreas

Felipe
01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
I remember a script on the netview called Armymaker, or something like that...I have used it to create a forrest for an old project.
You can also use particle instances, since you can "paint" particles, maybe you can get satisfactory results out of it.

Cheers,
Felipe

Mishou
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi again and thank you for your support!

Comanche's array is more easier to use and apply- thank you again, I don't have eyes to see the script there, right under my nose.

Grahame, thank you for your detailed response- I have no ideea about "L(min, max)", "R(min, max)" and "G(mean, var)". Very usefull!

I don't find the Armymaker, Felipe, but i find the scatter plugin. BTW, nice demoreel.

Thank you all for saving my... day!:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.