01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm just had to do Kali. This is a link to a WIP

http://willbrown.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Cameo
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Cool start Will, any updates?

willbrown
01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm adding a silo3D wire of the model and the start of the costume. Once I've done that on to ZBrush for the ZBrush pass and textures. I'll rerig the obj I get out of ZBrush in Carrara and get her to move.

Dann-O
01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Looks good I think her rack needs to be a little closer togehter but it looks fine. I am curous how you did the arms. Do you have a top view and are you going to rig this because it looks like it will nto be a lot of fun to rig especially if you go down to the finger level. 3 bones per finger 30 fingers ........

willbrown
01-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Dann-O

I did just the three arms, then mirrored. I modelled a hand, copied it and attached a copy to each forarm. I think I'll be able to mirror the bones for the arms and that will make rigging the fingers easier. Hopefully, that will mean really only fifteen fingers.

Here's a WIP of her with more of her costume.

willbrown
01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Added the necklaces, and altered the features to look more like Harryhausen's version.

Zbrushed the neclaces at two subds up from the silo mesh and imported back into silo. Still under 70,000 polys.

willbrown
01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I thought I'd try a render in Vue 6. Vue mats.

willbrown
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Here's the base mesh. Now on to Zbrush for sculpt and textures.

Dann-O
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
That Vue render reminds me of a Harryhausen pic. He often has high contrast shadows like that. Looks good are going to put her in the cave. I was spellboudn when I saw that scene the first time. Wow that was cool. I was just a kid at the time.

willbrown
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Dann-0,

Thanks, I was a huge Harryhausen fan in 1960s and til this day. I think I've seen those films so many times. When I was doing the Vue image, I kept rendering, till it felt like Harryhausen lighting.

BTW a few years ago I actually got a chance to meet Ray at Philcon, Philadelphia's annual Science Fiction Con. Ray remained after his speech, and a group stayed to ask even more questions than he handled during the presentation. He very generously answered questions for quite a while. It was a rare treat.

He had several sculptures on display when he gave his talk. The skeleton from Jason and the Argonauts is amazing. It's got fully articulating joints (of course). It stands only about a foot tall. I was astonished at its shear beauty as sculpture. Ray said he used only the one skeleton for all the skeleton animation in Jason.

This was just before the release of Jurraisic Park. He apparently had been asked his opinion about the movie and had seen it before release. He was very gracious in his comments about the work that ILM had done on the film. A real gentleman!

I'm gonna attempt the big circular design element you see in the film behind Kali before she starts to move also.

I'll also work up a cave environment. I'm planning to get the DVD because most of the reference on the web is pretty dodgy.

willbrown
02-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Kali sculpt to refine the figure and texture, ZBrush render.

willbrown
02-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Another Zbrush render of the sculpt and textures

willbrown
02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Carrara render Kali with displacement and textures.

eddieellis
02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
looking good man, i think that the eyes could do with alittle more work though :thumbsup:

willbrown
02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm planning to try another whack at getting a realy good displacement of the figure out ZBrush. I'm still fumbling around with getting the workflow right between ZBrush and Carrara. The eyes look better on the Ztool, but lose definition when I import into Carrara.

I'm working the set and the big ring she stands in front of over the weekend.

willbrown
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I redid the displacement map and exported it at 4096 px. I also did some tweaking on Kali's eyes, nose and lips. Added the normal map, too.

I also used Carrara's shader system to even the color out and make it closer to Haryhausen's.

I've learned a lot about displacement mapping and work flows between ZBrush and Carrara. At first I couldn't make anything work. By hanging with it and doing things over, I'm feeling more confident I can make it work.

eddieellis
02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
yeh the eyes look much better now mate,

the only thing that really sticks out at me now is the thumbs, they look alittle thin.

are you going to give her swords ?

willbrown
02-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Eddie,

Thanks for the input. I agree with you on the thumbs. That's something that happened when the mesh left ZBrush. The ZBrush sculpt had slender but nearly normal thumbs and fingers. When I got it into Carrara, after I figured out how to get the ZBrush displacement to work OK, her fingers and thumbs were REALLY skinny. I've bounced between programs taking her back and forth so many times, I've lost count. Fixing the thumbs will wait till I get her hand joints working properly.

I spent most of the last few days geting her rigged again with all her costume. The hand rig is pretty crude and really won't let me bend her fingers properly... Yet!. I'm not giving up. I can move her arms, legs, torso, hands, neck, etc...but NOT the fingers. I'll be working on her over the weekend. I hope to get her hands to work. When they do, I'll add the swords. Then, I'll take a shot at making her move.

For my final still image, I'm gonna put her in the cave set posed in front of that huge circular design, where you first see her before she starts moving.

Cameo
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Looking good Will, having the arms in unique poses and each hand equipped with a sword will really bring her to life (heh!).

willbrown
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Here's the latest Lots of Zbrush work on the set. Carrara render.

willbrown
02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Here are the orthogonal renders. I don't think I 'll have an animation by the deadline. I ran out of time rigging the hands. I'm gonna try a turntable afterwork today.

willbrown
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
More orthagonal renders:

willbrown
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Some quick renders:

eddieellis
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
ohhhhhh nice.....

I know what your saying abouthe thumbs and fingers on ZB export, i have the same problem with MAX (odd)

wow i cant wait to see it moving, are you going to go with the whold stop frame motion or a more professional look..

I like the cave render, i would say the only thing that lets it down alittle is the flames, apart from that looks good....

Keep it up mate, hope all is finished for tomorrows deadline :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.