PDA

View Full Version : determining the angle of polygons

BenDstraw
01-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Hello everyone,

is there anyway to determine the angle of a single polygon in 3ds max 7. im trying to figure out exactly all the polygons that are creating a squarish crease when i use sub-d. i think polygons at 90 degrees will cause that. correct me if im wrong.

thanks,
BenD:)

ManDay
01-21-2007, 07:45 AM
What do you mean with angle of a polygon? Do you mean the angle between two edges in a poly-obj?

BenDstraw
01-21-2007, 08:25 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bendstraw/example.jpg

for example. the selected polygon would be at a 90 degree angle now wouldnt it? if my terms are off im sorry but this is what i mean.

ManDay
01-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Well that wont be possible in general. Imagine those quads weren't planar but non-planar instead. The program couldn't determinate an angle then because they wouldn't lie in one plane. Do you know what I mean?

BenDstraw
01-21-2007, 08:44 AM
i get what you mean. cause angles are realitive. but max has a select by angle thing. so i thought it would be possible :shrug:

but come to think of it i should just use that to see which ones are which :scream:

kirigoi
01-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Forgive me if I am not making sense as I'm not a MAX user, but is there any way to get the polygon normal vectors using MAXScript? As long as the polygons are planar you should presumably be able to work out the angle between them with respect to the edge they share.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2007, 01:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.