PDA

View Full Version : Controlling particles parameters by distance/falloff

thethule
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is some way to scale particles according to their angle of incidence to a camera , like putting a falloff map to a meterialt. Basically my camera is pulling out of a globe and i have have the globe acting a the emitter for statinary facing particles. But i would like the particles that are at the edges of the globe to be bigger. The reason is that the particles will be logos to show the location of my clients shops around the world and i dont want them all to be the same size.

That said, it would also be very cool to be able to control any particle parameters by distance/falloff. And im sure that that is doable in wonderful PFlow!

Any ideas? I'm not much of a max scripter, so that would be no help to me.

Thanks,

Marc

PsychoSilence
01-21-2007, 02:23 PM
thereīs a tutorial by bobo concerning camera distance stuff...it deals with mesh resolution by camera distance but i think it not too hard to use it to control the particle size...

http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__particle_resolution_by_camera_distance.htm

hope that helps you out a bit :(

donīt have time atm to put together an assemby file for you :( :(

kind regards

anselm

thethule
01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks Anselm, thats very interesting. I guess that it should be adapteable for other parameters. I'll give it a try, but seeing as i have never used max script before, may be tough. So, i guess that there is no way to do it with the operators that ship with max?

Marc

thethule
01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Actually, i just read a bit about Orbaz's particle tools #3 and it seems that that may be the way to go

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464

"..The 'Prevalent Custom Data' option gives the ability to test a custom data channel from the surrounding particles (or other particle systems). The scale grow of particles is initiated by two factors: proximity to a reference object (the sphere), and the scale factor of the surrounding particles"

Quite pricey at $495 though, at least for my present needs...

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.