PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Faiirytale Landscape

thomaskrahn
01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi there everyone :)

It's been a while since I last had the time to work on a mattepainting. But Highschool's been slowing down a bit lately, and so I've finally begun on a new project, mostly to keep up my skills.
I'm trying to create a realistic world that at the same time looks like it could have been taken directly from a fairytale.

I definately have a loong way to go with this, but I would love to hear if you had any thoughts at this point. I've uploaded my first sketch, and the newest version so you can see where I'm headed.

I would love to get some feedback on it, that could help me improve, both the painting and my techniques. I'm looking forward to hearing from you :) Thank you.

Best regards,
Thomas

Sketch:
http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Fairytale%20Landscape/Landskab%201.jpg

Latest update:
http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Fairytale%20Landscape/Landskab%205.jpg

JJASSO
01-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey thomas welcome to this forums, well what can I say, the sketch is a really nice piece of art, excellent color palette and composition,

in you WIP we can see some of the photo elements your adding very very nice and seamless, this is definitly a must see image when it gets done, congratulation men and post more WIP's till your final image

ZaneV
01-22-2007, 02:26 AM
hi

looking great so far... please do post your w.i.p images like james suggested.

Should be a real eye opener when its completed

ZaneV

thomaskrahn
01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the feedback Jamie and Zane. I really appreciate it.

Here's a new update as you requested :) I've been working a lot on the trees and cliffs and I've just finished the right part of the image. The most tricky part was matching the colourscheme and composition of the new forest with the one in my sketch. Also deciding how much detail I should let go through was a bit of a challenge. I've used 3D trees from Xfrog so I had complete control over the forest.

What do you think of the result? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Well.. I still have a lot of work on the left part of the forest and the lake left to go, and high school's putting on the pressure, so lets see how it works out :)

I hope you like it so far.

Thomas

http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Fairytale%20Landscape/Landskab%209.6.jpg

Kutkin
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Looks cool!
Just keep it up!

aksu
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
The mood and composition you set up are great.

The details are also coming along nicely. The tree silhouettes are gorgeous.

You just have to be careful with reaching photorealism on your next steps. I'm sure It's going to be great! Can't wait to see it finished :D !

Matellis
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah great stuff going on here! I say quit school and finish this matte!

Cheers

mordecaidesign
01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
The far background mountains on the far left side might have too much detail to them in comparison to the hills that are further foreground to them. Just nitpicking. Other-wise this is looking amazing and I wish I could see some moving elements in it. Keep up the good work.

thomaskrahn
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi again everyone.

I finally found the time to complete the rest of the painting. The rest of the forest was a hard one to complete, but I think I'm finally satisfied...

I would love to hear you thoughts. I hope you like it :)

Thomas

http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Galleryimages/Northern/Utopia.jpg

Kutkin
02-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Really cool!
Those tree silhouttes are amazing!

cheers

Raphael-Lacoste
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey Thomas, I remember seing your incredible pictures done with Vue a few years ago :)

so going to 2D now?

I like your palete and composition, you could add more informations in your mid tones and dark tones so we could feel more the depth instead of the (very graphic btw) layers of silhouettes.
It could be some rocks, cliffs or old ruins that would break the regularity of the dark masses.

Rock on!

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.