PDA

View Full Version : Characters:New Characters!

JosephMclamb
02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone! Take a look at my test animation of Börje, http://medlem.spray.se/stewartone/animation.htm

Hey every one heres two new characters ive done rescently for my upcoming short film.

http://medlem.spray.se/stewartone/olle.txt

http://medlem.spray.se/stewartone/b%F6rje.txt

stephen2002
02-21-2003, 02:13 PM
those are, um, freaky. I can't spot anything technically wrong with them and it is clear you are going for a specific style.

The Gunslinger
02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Wow, really cool looking characters. I like the second one a lot; kind of reminds me of something out of Invader Zim ;)

BnE
02-21-2003, 03:03 PM
i like i very much, it's great style, really... i want to see the short....

Soljarag
02-21-2003, 03:09 PM
very nice style, the 2nd one is my fav.

JosephMclamb
02-21-2003, 03:29 PM
glad to know you people like the characters! Be sure to check out the animatic on my webpage and let me know what you think!

The Gunslinger
02-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Loved the animatic... that's going to be an awesome short. It's seemingly random there near the end... I like that really reminds me of some of my favorite cartoons!

:thumbsup:

HapZungLam
02-21-2003, 03:35 PM
the kids look scary, but it is quite a style

SheepFactory
02-21-2003, 03:47 PM
nice style , reminds me of the coke commercial Duran Duboi did.

PS: Please read the gallery rules before posting next time.

Ali

JosephMclamb
02-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Oops sorry bout that. glad you like the style.

onelung
02-21-2003, 05:45 PM
love the characters, the second is by far my favorite, i want him to throw his arms up and go graaaaaa! but in the voice of corky from life goes on. nice work again:thumbsup:

Hexodam
02-21-2003, 06:32 PM
love it :D

reminds me of some music video I saw a while ago, about a guy, a mouse and a spaceship.. all I remember

Maximillion
02-21-2003, 06:47 PM
:eek: Holy cow!
Those are GREAT! I love 'em!

Dope styles man. This is what CG is for. I love the stylized reality feel, and I'm a giant fan of the creepy but cute muppet/monster world. Which is way more my style then what I get to do at work.

keep it up or I'll hunt you down and tie to a chair until you do!
:drool:

BobbyKarate
02-21-2003, 09:24 PM
love the guy on the bottom excellent work!!!

lil' rothko
02-21-2003, 10:13 PM
These are great i really love the characterization.

Although they are very similar in style to a couple of things i've seen. I'm not sure who the animation house is, but the music video for the song 'starlight' (not sure of the music artist who recorded the song) is very similar in character style. In the video, a little mouse is a dj, and hooks up with a mole type character to start a recording career. It's very funny.

Also, the coca cola ads in the u.k. which accompany football matches, i think were done by the same animation house and are also similar. I don't know if anyone else knows who sang the 'starlight' song but i can't remember and its bugging me.

Even still, i love the work.:thumbsup:

JosephMclamb
02-22-2003, 10:51 AM
:bounce: Hey guys thanks for the replies! Im glad you all like the characters.

>lil´ rothko, Yes i am familliar with the starlight video (wich is great) And have somewhat drawn inspiration from it. The realistic textures on cartoony characters is what resembles it most i suppose. The character design too in a certain sence, although i think the starlight characters look more potatoish in one way. Anyway i tried to be original with the character design, (although its impossible to not be influenced by the art you like) I atleast think i found a nice contrast in the two with the placement of the eyes and the color schemes etc... Well anyway thanks for the input! As soon as the film is done ill post a link to it. Also expect some test animations for the characters in not too long. Im starting on the blendshapes today! Yay!

aenema
02-22-2003, 01:27 PM
the second one is real creepy :eek: they look excellent

JosephMclamb
02-22-2003, 01:28 PM
thanks (atleast i think so) fakie!

aenema
02-22-2003, 02:10 PM
i really think they have a certain feel to them :) ive seen many childrens books with this type of portrayal for characters, maybe you know what im talkin bout, its very cool! :)

phoenix2k
02-22-2003, 02:26 PM
those look excellent.. nice style :D...

Matt
02-22-2003, 03:00 PM
The Nightmare Before Christmas called on the phone. It wants it's style back.

Rye
02-22-2003, 07:04 PM
These are so awesome, you captured this style so perfectly. These characters are very believable and would be a lot of fun to watch in a short film. They do remind me a lot of different things, james and the giant peach comes to mind for some wierd reason, but thats what I love about it! Even still, i do think they have enough thats different about them to be your own personal designs. Very well done, now lets see some quirky animations for them!

JamesMK
02-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Incredibly excellent! Totally brilliant! "Börje" could only have been created in Sweden... This is the result of post-traumatic stress disorder induced by a childhood filled with Staffan Westerberg, Alfons Åberg and Humle & Dumle... most of you have no idea what I'm talking about here ... I know where all this is coming from, man, I've been there. :D

Helt suveränt, faktiskt. Nån animation på gång också, förhoppningsvis? Kör hårt.

proton
02-22-2003, 10:20 PM
HOLY Crap!

These are some of teh best characters I've ever seen......YOU ROCK!:bounce:

ThirdEye
02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
scaaaary :surprised :scream:

proton
02-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I haven't seen anything so new and refreshing in a long time....I love these :drool:

endseason
02-22-2003, 10:47 PM
first of all remind me a lot about the style of a video clip of some times ago i can't remember the name(a lot similar)...

i found this one of the worst thing ever seen on the cgtalk front page...

i mean some times ago i read in the game art forum some disapponted posts about the giving front page to average works from finished and high polys
and forgetting about the most of the realtime posted on there

well after see this i have to agree...maybe will be better to post more real time on the front page instead giving highlight to wathever is high :)

btw is my personal opinion and is not against anybody:)

somlor
02-22-2003, 10:49 PM
<<saved two jpegs to e:\art\inspiration>>

[s]

squidinc
02-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by endseason
i found this one of the worst thing ever seen on the cgtalk front page...

thats pretty harsh don't you think? :surprised

anyway...

I think they kick ass, especially the second one, really freaky looking, I look forward to seeing them in motion :thumbsup: :)

grihan
02-22-2003, 10:57 PM
very good work! I like that style! ... I cant wait for the short film!
keep showing your work here, please!

baby
02-22-2003, 11:11 PM
I love the animatic, but I'm not found of the story...
I think a little something is missing...

but I can't wait to see it animated...

The coke commercial and the stalight videoclip are from the same directors : Laurent et David Nicolas

I've got the Duran-Dubois demoreel tape just on my desk :thumbsup:

Wigaru Wiyamoto
02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Matt

That's a jackass thing to say. And totally untrue. Those are very thick and fat characters, NBC is very tall and lanky.

And endseason, just because you may not like the style you can't deny it's a good modeling and texturing job. Seems worthy of the CGTalk front page as anything else up there.

Bliz
02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
They are wonderous little peeps :thumbsup:

Excellent work. Can't wait to see more.

Gelfling
02-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Great work

ignore people with sps (small penis syndrome)

Royal
02-23-2003, 12:18 AM
These are great and you know it :bounce: Congrats on the front page! Well deserved.
And yes poeple with small penises don't usually like seeing other peoples work in the spotlight.

spr0g
02-23-2003, 12:48 AM
nice modelling, reminds me of a coke advert (often seen on tv around football programmes).

nightmare before christmas it does not tho... so whoever put that is obviously blind.

Artifex
02-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Very cool desing!

Teyon
02-23-2003, 02:08 AM
I like these alot. While the style may pay homage to others, it's still got its own feel. Great work!

Alice
02-23-2003, 02:29 AM
stewart, you may not have noticed this but I have an altar dedicated to you. I sacrifice my firstbought nudles every month on it to hopefully one day have you texturingskills :D

gj!
:beer:
Cheers!
/Malin

Hickory
02-23-2003, 02:56 AM
Second guy is a star...pimp supreme...could make you some money with that guy...I swear I have seen the first guy somewhere before...a presence I have not felt since.......

barley
02-23-2003, 03:59 AM
The Blind School called, they want their white stick back.
If you think that style is indicitive of Tim Burton's TNBC, all I can say is I'm glad you don't work for me.

The models look great, and exude a lot of freaky character, though the Duran Duboi (who produced Starlight & the UK Coke commercial) influence is very evident.

endseason
02-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Gelfling:

well as i said is just my opinion and was not about the skills, so pls pay respect to different opinion or u ll kill every ideas behind a forum thank u .

i totally respect the work and my post was self explained.

here we are to express our self if i am not wrong_:)

Gelfling
02-23-2003, 04:25 AM
I think it is sps in play

so respect my opinion

thank you :thumbsup:

btw I never called you out by name. I could have been talking about someone else. A little guilt or something?

SARC
02-23-2003, 04:40 AM
Creepy....

billy_badass
02-23-2003, 04:48 AM
really like the style, good job:thumbsup:
do you like big baby?

Boz
02-23-2003, 04:55 AM
[i]

The models look great, and exude a lot of freaky character, though the Duran Duboi (who produced Starlight & the UK Coke commercial) influence is very evident. [/B]

well it's not really Duran Duboi who have this style, its the director : David Nicolas (a.k.a. Number 6 , well know french graffiti artist), he also did the style of the Starlight's video clip with the mouse and the boy.
just for info :)

and yes these pics are in the same style but they are cool ;)

boxcrash
02-23-2003, 06:13 AM
cool, nice look and texturing is pretty cool.:)

Matt
02-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by barley
The Blind School called, they want their white stick back.
If you think that style is indicitive of Tim Burton's TNBC, all I can say is I'm glad you don't work for me.

I'm glad I don't work for you either. Then I'd be getting less money than I already do. The style is overdone, no offense. I wouldn't want to work for a dictator anyways. A good artist always wants honest opinions and critiques, and I gave it. I'd expect the same from you if you were my boss, but then again, you'll never have that occupation. I'll talk to you some more at McDonalds tomorrow when I order my McFish. No, I don't want fries.

endseason
02-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Gelfling:

are u 13? i remember this kind of jokes from that age..
with respect :)

enzodiac
02-23-2003, 10:25 AM
hehe skön stil ! :D ser fram emot resultatet.

Gelfling
02-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by endseason
Gelfling:

are u 13? i remember this kind of jokes from that age..
with respect :)

I sure hope to god not or something has went terribly wrong :p

With respect :thumbsup:

Gianluca
02-23-2003, 11:57 AM
extraordinary,
my remember the personages of musical video STAR LIGHT. Optimal characterization:thumbsup:

Animation :bounce: Animation

JM82
02-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Great work!!
Borge is fantastic!!

augustus
02-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Very stylish :thumbsup:

flamedevil
02-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Well done !
THese characters have style, this is great.
The concepts sketch you did are very good too.
Waiting for the animation :airguitar

Sgt.Pepper
02-23-2003, 03:58 PM
That storyboard-anim is totally awsome...

Wish I was smart enough to make storyboards/animatics like that before I start animating. Really pro-stuff!

Love 'Börje' too :thumbsup:

Johra
02-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Cant wait to see the final anim! GJ!

Skön stil! :thumbsup:

barley
02-23-2003, 06:52 PM
A good artist always wants honest opinions and critiques, and I gave it. I'd expect the same from you if you were my boss, but then again, you'll never have that occupation. I'll talk to you some more at McDonalds tomorrow when I order my McFish. No, I don't want fries. Your opinion nor critique wasn't honest at all because it wasn't remotely accurate. It was about as accurate as my 'critique' of you. :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to drop you some change when I finish my shift.

http://www.post13.co.uk/p13/mcdonalds.jpg

mimo8
02-23-2003, 07:55 PM
... that´s how we like it
there´s blood in the chatroom

do you guys know each other or was this a spontanous
philo-emotional outburst?

fender
02-23-2003, 09:20 PM
these characters are so cool!

love em:thumbsup:

Kieguy
02-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Love these characters!!! :applause:

And yep, I have seen both videos from Duran Dubois mentioned....the "Starlight" video was the very first I'd seen of theirs, and web searches trying to find out more about who was behind it turned them up...then the UK Coke commercial came out with it's obvious take-off of the same basic style and storyline, but still way cool. :thumbsup: So I recognized the style right away too, I don't care, I'm a fan of both this stuff and Tim Burton's...some people need to "like...chill and stuff". ;) There's nothing new under the sun...so the saying goes. (By that I mean, everything is influenced by something else in some way; nothing is created in a vacuum.)

Ah, and if it hasn't been mentioned already (I kind of skimmed thru the messages quick), "Starlight" was by The Supermen Lovers. It's spelled as Superman Lovers alot on the web, I'm pretty sure the official name is Supermen....as that's their website ;)
http://www.supermenlovers.com/

Other related linkage:

http://www.duran-duboi.com/duran/gallery.htm
(find the pic of the potato-y looking character with big teeth)

-"Number One" by Playgroup, another music video Duran was involved with (not the same visual style at all as Starlight, but fantastic in its own right):
http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/musicvideos/192/

- !!!!!!! Just saw this...There's a bunch of new UK Coke ads, as a series following the style/story of the 3-legged guy and the mole (I'd only seen the first one, "Supersub")...looks like I've got some downloading to do ;) woohooo
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/leggsy/

Anyway...you know I'll be waiting and watching for your animated short, stewartone!

AJ
02-24-2003, 12:10 AM
I really love these characters, and like most people - I love the second guy! That's a fine set of teeth he has going on... :D

Please ignore the inane ramblings of some. It has elements of all the things they have mentioned, but completely stands up in it's own right.

And specificly to Matt - The word that should precede criticism is constructive. In much the same way that the words that provide your signature should be 'please ignore the above'.

Looking forward to more on these two guys!

spiff73
02-24-2003, 01:35 AM
use more different angles. i know you will put more effort about camera angle in 3d layout stage, but the more you prepare in drawing, the easier the next process becomes. camera angle and shot composition tells so much story and sets the mood.
bruce block's "visual story" is very good book for this matter.
good luck and i look forward to see the finished short.

(DARKELEMENT)
02-24-2003, 03:33 AM
nice work stewy. soup for you.:drool:

ninja noodle
02-24-2003, 05:07 AM
wow love your spud-like characters! it's good to see some very different and very stylistic work on here! i think some people are far too concerned with realism! keep up the mint work! ;)

d4rk
02-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Very nice!

=kz=
02-24-2003, 08:22 AM
cool characters! can't wait to see more!

spm
02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
humle och dumle ;)

JosephMclamb
02-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey guys! Really glad you liked the stuff! Ill be sure to post some updates as soon as possible! Glad to stir up some conversation to. just dont get too hostile guys. More renderings and test animations coming shortly!
Peace!

Matt
02-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by AJ_23
And specificly to Matt - The word that should precede criticism is constructive. In much the same way that the words that provide your signature should be 'please ignore the above'.

Looking forward to more on these two guys!

12 is one of the best years of your life. Live it up.

I gave a constructive criticism... IE, be original. It wasn't meant for anyone but the originator of this thread. If you don't like my critique of what others agree to be not entirely original in styling, then too bad. You don't get anywhere in this world unless you're the most stunning thing everyone has seen. Invent a new flavor, and people will eat it up... Give them a variation on old, and you just have 'cranapple.'

Matt
02-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by stewart one
Hey guys! Really glad you liked the stuff! Ill be sure to post some updates as soon as possible! Glad to stir up some conversation to. just dont get too hostile guys. More renderings and test animations coming shortly!
Peace!

Right on.

JosephMclamb
02-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Matt>> I aprreciate the C&C. Be original. Sure, we all strive to be original and create something the world has never seen´. My style has been influenced by others without doubt but still i feel i have atleast created some remotely interesting characters that still can stand out on their own and give some people something interesting to look at. I might still be sort of cranapple but my goal is bigger. Anyway what i was really going to say was, there are more mature ways to give critique than "The Nightmare Before Christmas called on the phone. It wants it's style back." I mean sure IF they looked exactly like the characters in that movie, but even though they didnt, thats just crap.

but it is sort of fun reading the agressive replys to one and other. ;)

Tudor
02-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Stentufft!
Hur länge har du jobbat på det här, och varför såg vi inget av det när du var här på uds? :)

JosephMclamb
02-24-2003, 03:02 PM
tudor> har la jobbat på det här sen jag sluta uds praktiken så typ 2 månader eller nåt. Kul att få lite respons på det hela! ha de gött!

jdiddio
02-24-2003, 09:42 PM
I like your animatic, the angles are nice and simple, concentrating more on animation, but you should look at some of the timing. There are like 20 sec shots of the kid walking, that might be cut down, unless something else is happening.
The older guy is really nice, same with the kid. The only thing that bugs me is his pecks, they don't really work with a kid. He might look a little better with less of a pot belly, more of a straight body. Plus it would give your more of a contrast compared to the older guy. Maybe its just me, but it sort of bothered me.
Good stuff though

JosephMclamb
02-25-2003, 11:43 AM
jdiddio> glad you took the time to look at the animatic, im quite aware of the longer shots in the beginning, the aniimatic isnt detailed enough (stupid shortage of time in my life!) so i guess im the only one who knows exactly whats going on in the beginning shots, anyway it would be totally boring if he was just gonna walk in the beginning for 20 sec but theres going to be plenty of stuff going on there in the beginning so dont worry! Just keep your eyes open for the release of the short film!

Maximillion
02-25-2003, 04:54 PM
I have to say, Matt, that summing up someones art to the single dissmissive comment you made, just makes you look bad.:thumbsdow

I doesn't really look like "Nighmare Before Christmas" at all.
Sure they're both a bit wacky, creepy and kind of cute, but how many artists in the world are there that have that feel?

many.

Are they copying from each other?

I doubt it.

There's maybe some influence, but nonetheless each one is original. It's like someone sculpting a body and you saying, "Woah, looks like you copied Michealangelo! Dude, be original."
Nonetheless, Stewart One's stuff rocks:buttrock:, and your ignorant comments are not going to help anyone.

Mariomx
02-25-2003, 05:13 PM
wow and super... two words for you mate :p
that's where i (hope to) see my future, making things/creatures like that, AWSOME!

Just a question if you don't mind... the texturing....., how? please i beg you :cry:
they are sooo cool (models too offcourse, but i know about modelling, but (almost) nothing about texturing like that)

:bowdown: you are my god :bowdown:

siquier
02-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Just great, I´m impressed
plas, plas, plas :applause: :applause:

b.Schulz
02-25-2003, 08:55 PM
funny characters. . .should be interesting to see how you animate them. Good Luck, I too await to see your works in progress.

Samizdat
02-25-2003, 11:35 PM
I love these characters. They're a welcome break to the endless progression of dragons, spaceships, aliens, and oversexed girls that we're usually subjected to.

I wish more folks followed your lead and struck out in an original direction. Just ask yourself: does the world need to see *yet another* Orc? ;)

ts9236
02-26-2003, 08:16 AM
HA HA HA HA

:D :D :D :D :D

Awesome characters !

Shock6822
03-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Like others, I love the style lol...I think I like the first one better, but the second is great too....looking forward to your full film

JosephMclamb
03-06-2003, 10:26 AM
glad to get so much comments and crits everyone! Be sure to check out the new test animation!

lildragon
04-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Heya Stewart, any progress on this? :)

salud

M.Rogne
04-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Freaky... Can't really find anything wrong with it.

mattmos
04-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Bring it on! More characters like this please everybody - it's about time people stopped worshipping at the alter of Toy Story and started to be a bit more experimental with design and style.

Thought the animatic was very good, but dragged a bit at 2 mins - once the character animation is in there it should run better but consider whether all those shots are necessary to the telling of the story.

Looking forward to the finished article!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.