PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Day for Viper 21

Coolhand
01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
A 30 second animation to experiment with some effects and learn some more about animating and compositing, I put this together over about a week on and off, the fighters I had already built years ago as part of my universe project.

It's also a demonstration of how not to intercept incoming spacecraft. http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/images/smilies/Wink_anim.gif

You can download it from here. (http://www.coolhand.scifi-meshes.com/Videos/A%20bad%20day%20for%20Viper%2021.avi)

AVi, Divx 6 format.

I hope you enjoy it, thanks.http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/images/smilies/TheSmile.gif

jussing
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I like it a lot, it looks a lot like something out of Battlestar.

In the spinning shot about 20 seconds in, I do miss some more interesting rotation, it looks like it's on a turntable. Plus, you might want to artifically scroll the star background in that shot to create a greater sense of speed (the ever-present problem in space dogfight scenes)

- Jonas

Animals
01-20-2007, 04:52 PM
it is a little nice peace of action but if it is meant to be a test its very alright I would say if you could add a little noise on camera in the rotaion of the craft ... that would make it even more intense and powerfull ..other wise it is well don:) how did you do to make the smoke and fire and explosions by the way?

Silverwing
01-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Itīs looking good... Nice smoke fx!
But I think you could improve your
lighting and shading... Itīs ot bad
but it could be better... Maybe
some glossy reflections or bumps on
the shipīs body would bring more realism...

Although I had fun watching it!
Keep it up!

Coolhand
01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Glad you guys liked it. thanks for the support, comments and crits, i'll bear your comments in mind for the next.

You'll have to forgive the ships shaders, both models are several years old and I had no time to overhaul them since i needed to put this together quickly as a demo for a job. I guess a bit more of a wobble on the last spin might have been nice, but it's meant to be like an aircraft's flat spin if you see what I mean, some noise on the camera would have helped it i agree, ah well;) the other, larger ship has more of a tumbling motion so i wanted something different for the smaller ship. The flat spin also made the ejection a little easier for me to animate quickly. As for the speed, I think you get plenty of that from the trailing fire & smoke which is just a couple of super sprays. To be honest I really hate that scrolling stars effect that some productions use, I'd rather spin the camera around the object to get some motion into the scene if i had to, i've deliberatly tried to give the impression of speed without resorting to that trick.

gim-audio
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Steve

What a cool animation. Looks very nice!

I am a new member to this forum, and I cant PM you until I have posted a few times (So sorry to all, if Im doing something wrong here).
I wanted to ask you, if you had considered to have some sound put on the animation.
Im willing to give it a shot!

Please PM me, and I can send you my resume!

Best regards

Mikkel

Coolhand
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
That 'sounds' fine to me. lol

sorry for the awful pun.

totochi1231
01-24-2007, 01:05 AM
great stuff. I just watched the first season of Battlestar last night.
Cheers

Coolhand
01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks Totochi, and thats nice to know:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.