PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Old Building Detailing?

Tej
01-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello!
I am creating this old building with worn out look... I want to give in as much detail as possible. Ok just started the modeling phase. The question is do i model the worn out looks or can they be achieved later on during texturing process. Can i get a great results by keeping the edges simple and later on use displacement or bump map for this effect just like in the attached image. Software is 3ds max...

frodo2975
06-10-2007, 12:06 AM
looks fine so far. As far as I know, you can get effects like that using dispacement maps. It would take forever to model by hand.

polo84
11-10-2007, 02:37 PM
sculpting programs like ZBrush and Mudbox are great for achieving this type of detail. If you don't have access to these programs then yes, displacement or bump is the way to go during the texturing process.

Ashford_Butler
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Don't forget dispacement maps move the mesh and bump maps add detail. If you don't have Zbrush I would use dispacement maps and bump maps.

Tej
11-26-2007, 11:44 AM
well thanks guys! well currently dont have a pc to do anything! recently moved to UK from India. I will be continuing it when i buy a pc along with max and zbrush! till then working on my drawing and sketching!

anyways will come bak with somethin to show in the new year!

ysvry
12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
if you are short on money you could try blender too it has zbrush like sculpting and micro polys is coming in the new version (already in downloadable test version)

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.