PDA

View Full Version : VRAY distributed renders use all cores on other systems?

3dron
01-19-2007, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine runs VRAY on 2 computers and says that the second computer seems to only be running at half load. I am looking for the definitive answer on this, not a guess of what it should be doing.

Does VRAY distributed renderings use all cores on all systems selected?

I am stuck with CEBAS dropping the ball with FinalRender (Max9 64bit version.) I would have waited to install MAX9 which I already paid for and received 4 months ago through the subscription service. But I run 4 4core 64bit AMD systems with 4gb each. They work great for network rendering, but I need GI for a project and distributed rendering will be needed for hi-res print images.

I would like all 16 cores running, not just 4 on primary and 3 more cores for each other system.

Any info on the subject. Is there a Max9 VRAY demo, I only find Max8 demo.

Ron R.

thev2
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
In general V-Ray uses all available cores with DR; however there is a problem with 3dsmax 9 specifically (3dsmax 8 is fine) that prevents V-Ray to use all available cores by default in DR mode; to see how to make V-Ray use all available cores in that case, you can search the official V-Ray forum.A demo of V-Ray for 3dsmax 9 32- and 64- bit is available from the Chaos Group site: http://www.chaosgroup.com/support/

Best regards,
Vlado

3dron
01-20-2007, 01:07 AM
It seems renderers.current.system_numThreads=4 needs to be run in maxscript everytime I want to DR. I thought DR was a network service or exe taskbar item. How do you run this maxscript for a service. on each of the slaves?

It says the script can be used in the startup folder. Would this get it to run for the DR service? I just want to get all my items in order as I might jump into buying VRAY next week, and need to jump right in to using it. (I am still quite familiar with the settings as I used it on the scenes for the Law & Order CD-Rom games.)

It would not allow me to post on ChaosGroup site as I am new.

Ron

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2007, 01:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.