PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave help!

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi

I just purchased a model for a client on turbosquid of the WrightBrother's bi-plane. it's great, but theres a big error with it that would be an easy fix for someone who has, knows lightwave (I am a cinema 4d user myself).

The plane should have 2 propellers but only has one--so the 1st just needs to be duplicated.. Also the propeller is in the wrong place and needs to be moved slightly. I was able to make this fix in under 5 minutes in cinema 4d, but for various reasons, would rather have the fix be done in Lightwave, since that is the destination app for the project. I am complaining to Turbosquid right now about this issue, but in the meantime, I was wondering if I could send the file to someone out there to make the fix for me.

I will illustrate with a jpeg if someone is willing to help.

The file would need to be compatable with LW 7.0 (not 7.5 or +)

TIA!!!

Joel

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
whoops never mind....

7.0 only huh?

Are you running a cracked version or something?

Cracked copy?
I'm not running the app at all. I do not own Lightwave. My client uses Lightwave 7.0, and they asked me to find a model that they could use for an upcoming animation for the centennial of the Wright Bros launch at Kitty hawk. They are a satalite tracking software company but do a lot of video work. They have proprietary software that converts LW 7 files to their native app. I don't know if they take files saved in other versions or not, but there specs say LW 7.0, so thats what i need to want to give them.

I tried sending you the file, but it bounced back--probably since the file is big and you have a hotmail account.

Thanks.

wgreenlee1
02-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Oh,ok...
Everytime I hear someone say 7.0 and not 7.5 I always think they are running a cracked version.
How big is the file?

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 07:14 AM
a little over 3 megs. I can post it on my ftp site if that will work.

I also have a call in to Turbosquid to see if they can make the fix. If you, or anyone can do it, that would be wonderful. again, it should only take a few minutes.

wgreenlee1
02-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Check your PM.

leigh
02-21-2003, 12:18 PM
3Mb for a LW object??!! :surprised

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-21-2003, 12:54 PM
...mighty big...

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 02:35 PM
yep--stuffed too. Its a biggie.

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 02:59 PM
I didnt make the model. If you read above--I said I bought it from turbosquid, right?

I'm assuming the guy who made it either originally had it as an OBJ and exported it to LW. OBJ's tend to have a high poly count. It also insures that other appd will see all the detail.

But I agree--the model is pretty large.

JoelOtron
02-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Is there anyone out ther that could help me? So far theres like a zillion views . Can ANYONE please help me out?

Again to re-iterate, since it seems people are making there own assumptions...

Model Bought from Turbosquid for client.

I do not use nor own LW, cracked or otherwise--nor am I interested in the app.

Client uses LW 7, which their in-house software converts to their own file format for use in their satellite tracking software. Why they dont use 7.5--I do not know. Maybe would mean extra coding for there conversion process. This isnt really a modelling or animation house--these are a bunch of software engineers.

The correction to the file will take literally 5 minutes.

I can compensate whomever is willing to help.

If this works out--and I get more of this type of work, I may want to work with someone who can texture my c4d-built models and save them as LW for me.

Thanks!!!!!

4dartist
02-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Cake. Check your Private Mail, i gave you a FTP site. and its Login and Pass. There is 4gigs available so the file can be huge. I can get your model fix as soon as you upload it.

JoelOtron
02-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Just got back to the computer--I'll check it out--Thanks.

JoelOtron
02-22-2003, 02:33 AM
wgreenlee and 4dartist--thanks to both of you for offering to help me out!!!!!!

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Well,sorry about that.
I guess I'm gonna have to break down and actually get a website.

Personally I would talk to Turbo Squid about fixing it thats up to you.
I dont know about that model anyway.
I dont think it was modeled in Lightwave.
Too much unnessary polys.
I'll bet it was modeled in Max and converted with 3D Explorer or something.

Good luck to you though!

JoelOtron
02-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Yeah--I had immediatly contacted TS. In fact they sold me another model of the same plane the day before that had the SAME problem (actually it was worse). They refunded my money and they pointed me to a similar model, which was this one. When i told them this one had the same problem, the guy I spoke with said he 'd fix it for--me but he never did. I needed it by Friday afternoon. I kinda missed the deadline because of Turbosquid's error--but they didnt seem to care. I'm hoping to get another refund or at least credit because of the fauklty merchandise. They wouldnt hook me up with the original author either.

When I opened the model in Cinema 4d and saw that the wings had over 13,000 polys I knew that the model wasnt made in LW. What probably happenned is that it was made in Alias, with the props as separate objects. When whoever converted it to LW, the poly count went through the roof and the props, being separate objects (must have had the same name) and fused to one new object which was centered between the 2 original objects. weird. The guy could have at least checked the object after converting!

So be wary out there if you need to purchase a model on TS. Its helped me with deadlines in the past, but this fiasco was more trouble then it was worth.

Thanks for your help!

I was able to get someone to fix it and get it back to me in the end.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.