PDA

View Full Version : how do i build a house in 10 seconds? xpresso?

cvliv
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
i have a project where i need to build a house from the ground up. i was able to find a house on turbosquid complete with the framing and everything so that is good. my animation is going to be about 20 seconds. i want the house construct itself very quickly with A LOT of motion blur.

my question is this: is there a way via xpresso (or a plug in or any other method) that will allow me to animate the opacity, scale, and rotation of one element and have that same animation offset and repeat down the list of objects in that group?

think of it like each two by four kind or rotating up from the ground quickily and having the entire house framed up in like 5 seconds. and having the exterior siding do the same. i am trying to keep from having to keyframe every single piece. it doesn't need to be totally accurate as it will happen so fast that small errors or inconsistancies will never be noticed.

thanks!

Joseppi
01-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Cort,

I don't know about the visibility/expresso approach, but another approach that is pretty easy is this:

http://www.merciergraphics.com/move_art/benches240.mov

Basically, you have your completed model, keyframe the as is at the beginning and end frame. Then at the beginning frame, move elements out of frame (I used a single axis for each object to "slide" or "drop" it in.) and rehit "keyframe."

Then it's just a matter a staggering the ending "finish position" keyframes for objects, or groups of objects earlier from the end position, so some parts come in earlier than others.

It's probably not as fast as expresso, but to coordinate the pieces timing, it would seem you would STILL have to assign which objects to come in first somehow... wood framing before siding. I don't know how to smart-code expresso to know what to move in first, but perhaps the keyframing approach above may not take much longer...

HTH,
Joe

otomo
01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I would say that the keyframing approach is quicker to do as long as you dont have a myriad of objects.

You can also copy keys or sequences between objects. keyframing doesnt take that long.

expresso would also be possible but it would overcomplicate the scene IMHO.

Per-Anders
01-19-2007, 10:10 PM
if you have mograph you could put all the individual objects of the house into a fracture object then use an effector with a falloff to control the color for each object, if you then make use the mograph color shader in the alpha channel it'll allow you to blend all the objects out as the effector falloff goes over them (you'd need a fracture object per layer you want to construct/deconstruct).

depending on how you construct your house too you could also use the mograph cloners for the job of contrusction, then animate their parameters pretty quickyl and easily.

and another mograph way would be to use xpresso and mograph use mograph to turn off the visibility of objects in your objects list from a falloff (again from an effector).

then without mograph what you can do using xpresso is have an objectlist and iterate through the object list, take each object index, then for each frame turn the object who's index matches that frames number visibility off. etc...

there's quite a few ways to do this before you get to the point of keyframing every object in scene.

cvliv
01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
yes there are l ton of objects. every two by four used to construct the house. i would like to texture the entire house, then depend on xpresso or mograph or some flocking plugin (which i am not too familiar with) to control the alpha and the rotation of those objects, based on the amiations of the first one in the group. i have mograph. the model is a .3ds file so i will need to spend some time cleaning that up and organizing stuff. if you imagine a 2x4 on the ground and rotating up to vertical at a very high rate of speed. that is what i am looking to do with 90% of the objects in the model. some things i will key frame, but my hand would cramp up if i had to key and offset everything. if i had a set of studs under a null then had xpresso or mograph or whatever animate all of them offset in time based on how the first one in the group was animated that would save me a lot of time.

Jossepi - that is very similar to what i am trying to do, but much faster. and there are many many objects. so i am trying to see what i can do to save some time. weekends are nice....

:-)

thanks so much for your help

Jannis
01-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Look at

http://www.tarabella.it/c4dbeta/plugin_detail.php?Id_plugin=20

Nota with the nota shader will do exactly waht you are looking for. In fact the shader totorial example movie in Renato's site more or less goes through the same process of animating text changing rotation, colour and transparency.

Hope this hlps

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2007, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.