PDA

View Full Version : Friggen File Size

Captain
02-21-2003, 05:13 AM
I know this isn't a lightwave question, but Ive grown attached to the nice fellers here in the lightwave forum...plus, no one answerw in the designated forum for this question...WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE FILE SIZES...I remember when it was 40k...that was hard to make...then it became 30k, that was damn near impossible...NOW ITS 20k...I can't do anything that small...thats like a 64x64 image...its pointless....

-Captain

Psyhke
02-21-2003, 05:21 AM
I know. It's kind of frustrating, but sounds like it was probably necessary to keep the 'Server Busy' messages to a minimum. Hopefully the size limits will go back up after the CG admin folks make the change they were looking into regarding storing images outside of the database (i.e. in the file system) versus inside it, which is very taxing on the database and server.

wgreenlee1
02-21-2003, 05:38 AM
................it sucks.....................:thumbsdow

m_luscombe
02-21-2003, 06:21 AM
It's not just taxing, it's dangerous. Saving images as BLOB data means that the entire site data is one file. If that one file becomes corrupt, yer kinda screwed, and that one file quickly outpaces what you can backup easily.

I write ASP by day, and I've written a reasonably large graphics site. I just have a set file structure, upload the binary data to the server and save only a file path in the database.

With the right file structure, you could rebuild the database of images quickly even if the server mysteriously burst into flames tomorrow. 7100 images and counting. Fingers crossed =)

Eman597
02-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Just use photoshop and make it a jpeg with very low quality, the file size difference in comparison to the actual quality change is well worth it! And another thing, how do people get those "wallpaper" sized images in the forum? Do you get more rights as a Frequenter than a Veteran? Thanks

Psyhke
02-21-2003, 06:35 AM
They're referencing images located on their own server space, using the IMG tag.

terryford
02-21-2003, 01:01 PM
What Psyhke said - if you want to post large images sign up for one of the free web space provideres if your ISP doesn't supply any (most do though).

Regards,
Terry

Rabid pitbull
02-22-2003, 02:27 AM
i actually think all files should be on remote servers. less server is too busy messages....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.