PDA

View Full Version : Another Walkcycle thread

krugar
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
This is my first upload on this site so i thought it might as well be a walkcycle i was working on. Im sure there are still a ton of mistakes on it but i would like your opinions and crits.

It's just a general walkcycle nothing too fancy.

Walk01 (http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/krugar/?action=view&current=GenericWalkcycle.flv)

or to D/L

walk01 (http://rapidshare.com/files/12419407/GenericWalkcycle.mov)

dude5487
01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Can you post a side and front view?

noobie
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
i think the walk is too slow and the shoulders and hips are too stiff, the hips do rotate a little but the shoulders seem to be static throughout the walk and because of the color i cant really tell bout the feet not sure if its fluid enough its too dark

krugar
01-22-2007, 04:09 PM
nobbie - Yeah your right now looking at it with fresh eyes the hips could be exaggerated a bit more and the shoulders are not doing anything, should have seen this before :banghead: (Baka).

These are just playblasts.

Front_Walk01 (http://rapidshare.com/files/12882868/WalkcycleFront.avi)

Side_Walk01
(http://rapidshare.com/files/12882869/WalkcycleSide.avi)
I will update soon

noobie
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
lol kruger i think ur links are dead... either that or school internet being a douche...

anyways everyone does that not just u its something with staring at the screen too long the animation just starts to look better for some reason.. lol.. i do that all the time u just gotta go away for a few days and come back and re watch it then fix what looks off either that or get other peoples input then fix it few days after i went back adn watched my older animations god.. they look ugly...

would love to see ur updates SO FIX THE LINKS! :P

krugar
01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
lol kruger i think ur links are dead... either that or school internet being a douche...

Fixed

lol thats why I hate lookin at my old animations.

noobie
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
well i watched it and u still need those shoulders to be opposing the hips plus u needa rotate the shoulder controls back and forth when the arm swings back and forth and there should be some sort of torso control if there isnt then geuss u cant do much about it but the torso needs some movements too, theres a slight jitter with the right hand at the beginning, and i still think theres not enough delay on those hands, you could also curve the toe section of the feet more when it lifts of the ground and delay it a couple frames after the palm of the feet contacts the ground... for example.. say the heel of ur feet contacts the ground at frame 15 make the palm of the feet contact the ground by around frame 17 then make the toe section contact the ground around frame 18 or 19 mess around with the timing see what works best, i usually just delay the toe section a frame or two it always seems to look good

o yeah forgot.. might want to add a bit of head movements maybe some up and down or side to side depending on what you want to convey with your character. GOOD LUCK!

Amit_S
01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey Mutila
1st of all- plz visit my thread (my signature) and go throgh at least the 1st few posts.
I too was struggling like hell with walk cycles. My biggest problem was I didnt know what to do.
I can see that you are in the same boat. As far as this walk cycle is concerned....well- its all wrong. Dont want to sound like a smart ass by saying that- just think of it as one noob(me) sharing his experiences with another noob(you).

All the members at cgtalk are helpful guys and you will receive a lot of stuff- but at your level where you havent even learnt the proper body mechanics- things like the actual poses of a walk- relying on open threads is going to be a slow long process. Get some training material. Once you have reached a certain level where at least some of the body mechanics are in place then you can post your work for critiques. I would recommend Digital tutors- esp their walk cycle CD. If you can't afford it - do what me and my friends are doing. We buy what we want and then simply exchange it with one another.

About your attempt:
Sorry dude- Its all wrong. Redo the whole thing.
*You havent made anything resembling a contact pose- His front leg should be on his heel. The back leg on his toes and balls....somewhere inbetween. The same goes for his down pose, up pose....the movements, if present, are too subtle.
*Speed it up- he looks too slow.
*With the above point- add some snap and ginger. Right now everything is happening at the same time. To avoid this.
- first exagerrate all his poses. More down , more up.....
- for his height -his height his stride length seems too small. Increase it.
-When he is going down slam him to the ground- his hips and the landing leg...

I could go on and on...but there are somethings which are just impossible to communicate like this. For eg-body flow. Your model has a very good upper body -it looks easy to animate the follow through...
A few more small things would include the actual angle of the feet, how the big toes are turned up and the small toes down, how the scapula retracts etc etc. Its all these little things that together make a great piece. The problem with these things is that they are difficult to spot unless you know what you are looking for. If you dont do those little things then there is no feeling of weight or looks too artificial.
Thats why I would recommend doing some follow through tutorials first.
I feel so strongly about this that I'm gong to underline my points abou getting training materials ;)
Check out this walk cycle created by me by following Digital Tuts -hardly oscar material- but a great improvement from what I was peviously doing. Look for the little things I mentioned.
01DTWalkCycleFront:
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:130355
01DTWalkCycleSide:
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:130356

noobie
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
o dang AMit that animation was urs?!!?! god i downlaoded it the other day and watched it, it was so smooth and fun to watch good job! dam.. i needa go redo my walk cycles lol... urs is too good ahhh!!!

btw yeah those digital tutors or something is really good im watching some for zbrush right now its pretty thorough

Amit_S
01-28-2007, 05:30 AM
o dang AMit that animation was urs?!!?! god i downlaoded it the other day and watched it, it was so smooth and fun to watch good job! dam.. i needa go redo my walk cycles lol... urs is too good ahhh!!!

btw yeah those digital tutors or something is really good im watching some for zbrush right now its pretty thorough

Ah! Bliss! You made my day.:bounce: :bounce:
You know - I used to look at all the really cool animations everyone used to post and i was like.."HOW DO THEY DO IT??!!:eek: "
This is the 1st time someones looked at my work and said that they needed to improve theirs. Feels nice to be complimented.:thumbsup:

OK- and now the bad news- for the above walk cycle I just byhearted the concepts and did what was being done in the CD. I'm trying to do walk cycles with different models now but just cant seem to get it as right as this one. I still need to work on my judgements...the timing, follow through etc etc.
Yeah and the Digital Tuts are prety cool. Am trying to save up for their new push, pull CDs.

Mutila: man- i just hope you dont think I'm hijacking your thread or anything. Seriously get the Cds.

krugar
01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Mutila: man- i just hope you dont think I'm hijacking your thread or anything. Seriously get the Cds.

LoL its kl, yeah those DT cds are great i've got alot of the modelling and a few animation ones, anyway i just got through the walkcycle cd normally i watch through these a few times then attempt to do the project (rather than watching and doing it step by step).

More crits welcome guy and girls :bounce:

Front02 (http://rapidshare.com/files/14114824/Front02.mov)

Side02 (http://rapidshare.com/files/14114826/Side02.mov)

dude5487
01-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I cant get to the files.

Amit_S
01-31-2007, 04:27 AM
:applause: :applause:
Now thats more like it kl.
I like the fact that you did not simply do a folow through. I can see some differences between what is on the Cd and your work- the hips for instance. In your case they dont just out as much as in the CD- thats cool.
No critiques- except I feel that on his 1st pose- maybe just bend his foot a little more. Not that yours is wrong -but just something I would've preferred.

Now do the same with your 1st model and post it.

krugar
02-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok will update soon with the first model

Amit - Glad you liked it more to come soon :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2007, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.