PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a Gun For Games

lashy
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
hi all
As modelling for games involve very serious low poly tricks, i need help on one of those tricks.
I am using 3ds max 8. I am modelling a gun which is suppose to be low-ploy, so I want to know whether do i use any smoother like Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth or use smoothing groups to remove those visible hard edges and to make it look smooth.
As using Turbosmooth adds a lot of polys which defeats the purpose of Low-Poly, and by using smoothing groups, the edges doesnt gets enough smooth.

So Is there any other way to make the model look smooth and also is Low poly.
Please Help !

Cgeers
Lashy

scrimski
01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Add edges in the direction of the round surfaces by hand.

lashy
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
thanks for replyin scrimski
but i didnt get it, could you please explain in more detail.

Spiegel
01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I think that what he's trying to say is that you should simulate the round parts by cutting the polygons and not by using a modifier. If you use a Turbosmooth os meshsmooth the polygon number will increase a lot. And here is a tip for you: You don't have to create a highdetailed model (in game parameters of course) you can create like a relatively simple model but with a nice looking texture. The texture helps a lot, keep that in mind.
Good luck!

lashy
01-19-2007, 04:41 PM
thanks spiegel for your suggestion
i agree, texture is the key, but im not that good in texturing,
so, i basically wanted to make a clay model without texture, but a low poly one.

digital_babu
01-21-2007, 01:05 AM
http://tutorials.moddb.com/16/beretta-9000-video-tutorial/

This is an excellent link to an extensive video tutorial on modelling a low-poly pistol.

BenDstraw
01-21-2007, 06:52 AM
chamfer the edges and make cuts at key areas to get the effect you want. it will help smooth things out without adding to many polys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.