PDA

View Full Version : need help modding in doom 3...

finchy
01-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi there, I'm used to making maps for Unreal Tournament 2004 and they have a real good web resource and program to create my maps. but i want to move onto more complicated work now I want to add bump maps normal maps etc. I don't know how to go about making a level for something like doom 3 or quake 4? can anyone assit me? is there a program available for download?? or is there anything like the resources they have for UT 2004?? many thanks. Finchy :)

commanderkeen
01-19-2007, 02:28 AM
the doom3 and quake4 editors are part of the main exe. you just start it with the "editor" flag. Its editor is not really compareable to unrealED and the engine lacks some very basic things, like rotating and scaling environment models. UT2007 is just around the corner, and you can already mess with UE3 if you buy RoboBlitz (http://www.roboblitz.com/).

B.T.
01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Its editor is not really compareable to unrealED and the engine lacks some very basic things, like rotating and scaling environment models.

that's not true - rotating environment models is not a problem at all, it works just like rotating a brush. Scaling environment models is possible too, though I have to admit that it's not very straight forward....

the main difference between UnrealEd and Doom3 radiant is that they use two totally different brush basics. While you've got a basically endless solid space in Unreal, where you "carve out" your map. In D3 everything's "empty" at first and you'll always have to make sure that your map doesn't "leak", which means that there mustn't be a connection between the "inside" of your level and the emptyness outside. not sure if you're able to follow me, hard to explain in words...

I'm also not sure if UE3 still uses this kind of system, as I only worked with UE2 yet.

edit: check out http://www.doom3world.org/ you'll find quite a lot tutorials and stuff over there.

DooFi
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Actually, if i'm not mistaken, the current UnrealED that ships with UT2004 is version #3, the new one that comes with roboblitz and UT2007 is called UED4. As for my part, i'd wait for UT2007 or buy roboblitz, except you want to use Doom's editor for the sake of learning Doom's editor ;)

Hourences
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I believe 3dbuzz also has quake/doom videos similar to the ones of UT2004..
But really, whats the use of learning doom3 these days. UE is going to be most popular commercial engine or the next few years so..
And you already got the basic understanding of the editor since you worked with the previous gen so it should be easier to move onto UE3 than to learn an all new platform in your situation.

Actually, if i'm not mistaken, the current UnrealED that ships with UT2004 is version #3, the new one that comes with roboblitz and UT2007 is called UED4. As for my part, i'd wait for UT2007 or buy roboblitz, except you want to use Doom's editor for the sake of learning Doom's editor

I think what the previous posters meant is UE3 and not UED3. Which are not the same. UE=Unreal Engine. UED=The editor. UE2 uses UED3 for example.

I'm also not sure if UE3 still uses this kind of system, as I only worked with UE2 yet.

UE3 has been transformed into something more similar to Max and Maya, or if you want quake/HL. Theres no big space anymore to carve stuff out. Theres just pure void to add things in.
However it also still supports the original system, you could add a giant cube and then just start substracting away like the old days.
It also cant leak, it is actually suppose to leak. The void=the sky. To see sky you have to delete walls so you can actually look into the void.

DooFi
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I think what the previous posters meant is UE3 and not UED3. Which are not the same. UE=Unreal Engine. UED=The editor. UE2 uses UED3 for example.

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood them xD

About the new editor itself, watch this thread:
http://www.unrealed.de/ut2007-allgemein/t-preview-unrealed-4-1841.html
It's a german forum, so you won't understand that much, but the pics remain english. You can also see that the editor asks you whether you want to start with a massive block of geometry in which you subtract rooms, like you did in UED3, or whether you want to begin with pure void to add geometry, as you'd do in Hammer.
The pictues show the new browser, particle- and material-editor as well. This is gonna become damn cool. I'm even thinking of buying RoboBlitz, since I haven't heard of a release date for ut2k7 yet.
Be aware that RanbowSix:Vegas, which runs on UEngine3 afaik, does NOT ship with the editor! Maybe they will supply modders with an SDK via download, but as far as i know, nothing similar has been announced yet.

finchy
01-20-2007, 01:31 AM
01/05/2007 i'v heard this is the release date??? not to sure though. makes a lot of sence to wait but that is a long wait and i was hoping to get the level finished by the time UT2007 is released (going by that release date) Does RoboBlitz come with the Editor that will come with UT2007?? if so I might buy it to. See I want my new level to be a lot more complex than what is capable of the UED3 Thanks for your help.

Hourences
01-20-2007, 08:16 AM
There is no real release date, any date you see floating around is estimated by random people.
May is a possibility, but it could just as well be august...

Roboblitz standard comes with the editor, totally identical of the one UT2007 will have. However, it is not going to be 100 percent compatible. You wont be able to make an entire UT level in the roboblitz level and then simply port it over when UT2007 comes up, not going to work.
You can however test all your assets and the like already and you can learn the tools already so youll have a swift start once the game does get released.

finchy
01-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I'v decided to give the quake4 editor a go it's always fun to learn something new, I have downloaded some videos of 3DBuzz for the doom3 editor which I think is the same Editor. but there not as advanced as the UT videos... my levels are made up of a lot of static meshes which is what i think quake4 editor calls models, but I can't figure out how to export a model from max 9 to the editor anyone mind giving me a quick run though of what to do. thanks.

commanderkeen
01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Not sure how well quake4 handles mesh based environments. Aside from the outdoor cliff stuff its mostly bsp with deco models scattered around.

BeatKitano
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Finchy, all you need to know is here (http://doom3world.org)

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.