http://cif.rochester.edu/~sasha/Sub1.jpg

Interpretation left to the viewer.

/Ale

kfc
01-01-2002, 04:27 PM
:)
very nice.
was it done in photoshop?
i like the mood very much. hmmm.... but not the incident.

sasha
01-01-2002, 07:51 PM
This was rendered in a 3d package called truespace from scratch, so no, this is not a montage in photoshop from a buncha photos.

/Ale

underdog
01-01-2002, 11:46 PM
That flag sucks major ass....sorry

sasha
01-02-2002, 12:38 AM
Here is a more PC version of the render
for once who have a hard time dealing with reality.

http://cif.rochester.edu/~sasha/Sub4.jpg

Y-Guy
01-02-2002, 04:25 AM
Great Job bud. I like the atmospheare. Its very convincing. I'd say you could send this off to a few places to be used for someting. If I was making an add, I would like to have that picture out there. Again, very impressive. ;)

elam
01-02-2002, 12:44 PM
I don't think underdog was talking about the "statement" of the flag, but the appearance.
It looks like a cut and paste job in photoshop.

e.

Grooveholmes
01-02-2002, 05:02 PM
:D Heh hehh ehehhehehehehehheheh heh

Right on man right on, The origional one is great! Thank you. More people need to see their new (corporate) American flag, cause the stars and bars is dead baby. Get used to it.

Kadde
01-02-2002, 10:02 PM
wow! very impressive.
the second one is great.
i think if its animated, can be edited in a
compositing package, blended with some live action people,
animate the smoke, and voila !
near motion picture.

very good !

hmc4me
01-03-2002, 12:15 AM
If I were you I would send a copy of that photo to your local newspaper and any other local magazine you might know of. Not that I would profit off what happend on 9-11 but it is a great work that should be show and it would also help get your name out.

bassaminator
01-03-2002, 03:25 PM
The image is very good, but could be better with a little work. If you draw a line roughly a third of the way up from the bottom of the picture, look above and below it... the level of detail and completion is much better below the line. Above the line you need to hint at more detail behind the fog-right now it looks like faint 2d brush strokes in photoshop. The flag does'nt have enough folds and looks too rigid, like plastic, not fabric.
Otherwise great work. Re work those points and will be even better. remember; you only need 'hints' of detail behind the fog- not fully executed and textured work. Just more lines and visual confusion, since things that have broken tend not to have clean edges, and something complex like a building would have multiple parts that break at different points.
All in all I like it a lot.

balistic
01-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Some of the rubble appears obviously cloned. Additionally, if you're after realism, smoke and steam don't usually noticably blur what's behind them, they just push everything towards the same value.

Sometimes I'll blur select areas of mist for compositional reasons, but if you do it too much, it just looks mushy.

bentllama
01-04-2002, 03:56 AM
I applaud your first flag...I wouldn't lchange it...

I am a Canadian living in the USA, and I love it here and the friends I have made, but the first flag spoke a true sentence...

rock on brothers and sistahs...

peace.

poseidon
02-02-2002, 04:26 PM
why don't you make a short movie From when the first plane crash till the whole thing come down?:cool:

xtrm3d
02-03-2002, 03:04 AM
poseidon :
"why don't you make a short movie From when the first plane crash till the whole thing come down?"
xtrm 3d :
please dont do that !! ( we have seen enough from this tragedy on tv... imho it would be taste less to do that sort of stuff )

ok and now let talk about this piece of art ..
i found this is a great picture ... i can feel the desolation and the dead mood from this place
itīs look great ( the work you doe ,not the subject )
for the flage .. i woulde say .. i am not an american .. and i dont want to philosophyse about the signification .. but the first one look a bit compositing in photoshope.. the second blend better in the environment ...
the color look not so photorealistic in the first but i find them better ..

sorry for my home made english :-)

sherban
02-03-2002, 06:36 AM
it seems balistic's decided to be the bane of all photo-compositing-realistic-3d-fakers who may be out there.

balistic, can we assume that the recent change in avatars is meant to reflect your feelings on the subject?

poseidon
02-03-2002, 07:33 AM
Sry guys sometimes stuff comes out.I am just a newbie ok back to the topic:Can you like elaborate how you did that?

xtrm3d
02-03-2002, 05:30 PM
heyyy posseidon...
that not so terrible... :-) and i dont mean it personly.... :-)

poseidon
02-04-2002, 06:49 AM
actually i didn't mean like make it for entertainment.They said the wtc came down because of the fire.So make something like a simulation to see what is the real cause. www.havok.com for physique.:(

Matt_Forcum
02-04-2002, 06:56 AM
the piece means nothing without the first flag. without it, the piece becomes typical and trite.

by the way, i almost always hate anything i see in "memorial" of september 11. but this isnt too bad. and no. a simulation would be really dumb idea.

sasha
02-17-2002, 03:13 AM
Hello,
I forgot about this thread, and was pleasently suprised at
all the feed back I got. The only montage part is a little extra
smoke in photoshop. The clonign of rubble was cloning of geometry in the scene. It certainly is incomplete and has
lots of loose untied ends. The feed back was very helpful in general.

Im workin on my site now, I'll post a mini tutorial on this small project there.

/Ale

Novadesigns
02-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Sorry, but I've been looking at this image pretty carefully and I'm having a really hard time believing that this was done with a 3D package. There is really obvious evidence of the Photoshop clone tool and pretty poorly done layer operations.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't understand what I'm seeing here.

How about a wireframe of this scene?

sasha
02-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Hello,

for anyone who cares here is the wire frame

http://www.skwerm.com/sasha/wires_final.jpg

/Ale

alx
02-17-2002, 02:11 PM
i liked the reply....on the wireframe... it came funny to me to see "i dont't think its done on a 3d package...show a wireframe" and then boom!!! a wireframe...
anyway...

comments on this:

1. i understand the reason why it doesn't look like its made on a 3d package.... the flag is too sharp in relationship to the whole image (maybe you can try to fix it) also.. the flag looks to stiff which adds to the reason of why it doen't look 3d
(its sometimes amazing how one small glitch can change a whole image) also, the saturation, blur and the graininess relation between planes makes it be a bit confusing

2. I think that here the medium is not the main issue. i think the most important issue (on this image in particular) is the emotion it conveys and the mood it sets as well as (does it accurately represents what it should?)... i think it does. But try to think about the psycological part of that image to make it even better.

i dont think that in this image in particular the technique is the main issue as i said..

anyway just a thought hope it helps..

sincerely
alx

:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.