PDA

View Full Version : Article on Richard Lack and the New Atelier Movement

Rebeccak
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Richard Lack revived the practice of Atelier study in the US and spawned its revival abroad, and there's a great article on him here:

http://www.aristos.org/aris-06/lack.htm

art4med
01-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Mebbe a "new movement" for traditional painters (that's me, too), but the "Slow Paint" trend training has prolly got too much involvement for a rapido field like animators.

Another practitioner, MimmsStudios.com trains artists for 6 years!!! at $1800 per semester, thats a real committment!

My advice [as a professional medical/surgical/anatomical illustrator for 30 years] is this:

Go get one semester course on figurative anatomy at a local art school, taught by a realist artist trained in anatomy (NOT a painter who does abstract expressionism!)

OR

Get an established anatomy master to do a video set for online training or DVD. The Phoenix material seems relevant, tho I have yet to determine if its that useful to this audience or mere self-promotion.
BTW, who has bought a $500 anatomy figure to find that it is so static as to teach nothing?
*I'd like to see a comic illustrator teach an online anatomy course.

HEY, even THIS sounds like a promotion, but I am not a video guy. Mebbe I should offer a course at SIGGRAPH?? http://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=4139193#

RebeccaK's Foundationalarts.com looks very informative!

Good luck.

Rebeccak
01-22-2007, 07:16 PM
art4med,

Heh I know what you mean about slow training. It's definitely not for everyone. :)

For training that is more suited to animators in terms of drawing, there is Glenn Vilppu, who has a number of different DVDs. Gnomon also of course has a number of DVDs on both traditional and digital practices.

Glad you like foundationalarts. :) Btw, the link you posted only posts a new reply - could you repost your link? I'm curious. Thanks! :)

art4med
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
R--
The link in the foundationalarts paragraph above was produced by dragging a Smilie onto the reply, MY MISTAKE!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.