PDA

View Full Version : cluster movement problem

Matt Leishman
02-20-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm having an issue with my clusters and their movement that I'm hoping some of you can help with.

if I create a cluster on 2 points and change the weight of that cluster for those points I get exactly what i expect. So at this point if I move the cluster around, the points are being affected exactly how I painted the cluster weights on them. Why then, when I then parent those clusters to something (doesn't matter what it is, as long as the cluster is now a child of something), and translate the parent object around, does the painted cluster weights on the 2 points get thrown out the door. When I move my parent object around, the points act as though their cluster weighting was never edited in the first place.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to why this happens, I'd love to hear it so I can create a work around. thanks for all your help in advance.

goosh
02-21-2003, 12:05 AM
When you create the cluster, make sure the "relative" tab is turned on

Goosh

Matt Leishman
02-21-2003, 06:19 AM
if i turn the relative tab on, then when I translate the parent object (which the cluster has been parented to) the cluster has zero effect on the points that it had once deformed. I appreciate your help though. I does work to have the cluster in relative mode, but only when the cluster isn't parented to something that then will control the motion of cluster.

sp0rk3d
02-21-2003, 06:36 AM
haha sithlord i didn't belive you for a miute there.. hen i tried it and i was like holy $hit it's true!!!!!..... hahahaha.....
well there is a fix.... worked for me....
you must get locator to cluster... point snape/ point constraint whatever... freeze transformations and then connect the cluster.translate to the locator.translate.....

connect scale and or rotate if you need to also...

hope that helps.. :)

Matt Leishman
02-21-2003, 04:18 PM
thanks spork,

I'll give that a try, it sounds like the solution.

Octagon
02-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by sithwarlord
thanks spork,

I'll give that a try, it sounds like the solution.

spork, thx for your solution and to sith for finding the problem :)

the solution works just fine. i tried it immediately after i read about this strange behaviour.

the whole weighting is gone simply by parenting the cluster. is this a bug or can someone explain this?

btw, after hooking up locator.translate (and the other xfroms) into the clusterhandle you _can_ actually parent the cluster under the locator to have a cleaner scene. the locatorhandle _will_ double-transform visually in the viewport but the deformation will be correct according to the xform of the locator. so there's no harm done be parenting.

cheers,
matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.