PDA

View Full Version : SoftQuadro dead?

ThomasMahler
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Gee, I'm an idiot. I updated my old Athlon64 system to a E6600 Core 2 Duo and swapped the GPU from a 6800gt to a 7900gto - should've been a much better card, but I just figured out (silly me) that you can't softquadro the newer Nvidia cards anymore. Now, my 6800 was really fast and fluid in Maya and Clay when patched to softQuadro and I don't get even close to that speed with the 7900gto - that really sucks.

I haven't read a lot of news about this yet, I was under the impression that you can softquadro every card, since I've done that with quite a few already and was always pleased with the results. Now is that really it? Is there no chance that one could turn a geforce card into a quadro anymore? Sluggish Viewport performance when loading in high res meshes or slower menu rendering is quite annoying right now.

Ice Czar
01-18-2007, 01:01 PM
looks that way

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=193478

AUMAKUA
01-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, I guess Clay is something similar to ZBrush and Mudbox, no? I use a 7900gtx (non softquadroed apparently) and the performance in both ZB and MB is great. Furthermore, in XSI I am able to orbit a 2.5 mil. triangle model like an 8 side cylinder. Why is that so with your 7900 gto?? so big difference between the 2 variations of the same chipset??

lots
01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
The softquadro stuff hasn't seen any recent devlopments because the guy doing them quit, after being constantly bugged about getting more updates to the software. On top of that, nvidia introduced a more recent security measure in GPUs starting with the second revision of the 6800GT (PCIe version). So modern nvidia cards cannot be softmodded in the old ways.

There have been a few people flashing the BIOS chip on thier cards with a Quadro BIOS, but if you do this wrong, you have a dead card on your hands. That's pretty expensive...

ThomasMahler
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not really up for flashing - but it's quite annoying. The 6800 worked just great when softquadro'd - it was just really smooth and pleasing to tumble, the whole interface felt a little nicer. Hope this Unwinder guy will keep developing after a timeout... :)

...but thinking about it, how hard can it be to flash the bios? I mean, are there any guides for that online? I won't do it until I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing, but getting the old speeds again would be mighty fine.

Ice Czar
01-20-2007, 06:23 PM
There have been a few people flashing the BIOS chip on thier cards with a Quadro BIOS, but if you do this wrong, you have a dead card on your hands. That's pretty expensive...

unless you own and operate an EEPROM programmer (http://www.batronix.com/electronic/circuits/eeprommer.shtml)
compatible with the chip in question

...but thinking about it, how hard can it be to flash the bios? I mean, are there any guides for that online? I won't do it until I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing, but getting the old speeds again would be mighty fine.

firmware flashing isnt generally that hard when working with code designed to work on the hardware your flashing, but code that isnt? the consequence can be very steep.

Till the device is reflashed to the proper code its dead, many simply replace the chips, others send them out to be reflashed (generally mobo) very very few geeks have EEPROM programmers or have the first clue how to program for them.

gaganjain
01-21-2007, 05:42 AM
U will thing this is off topic but i post here as it is about SoftQuadro
After reading ThomasMahler i google SoftQuadro got some info on it
I have Geforce FX 5200 card with NVIDIA Forceware 91.47 Driver install it

I try SoftQuadro on Forceware 91.47 Driver and install it
I used mudbox,Maya,Zbrush and i don't see any diffence after install SoftQuadro

Edit
Here is my question
Is it good to patch Forceware 91.47 Driver to Get Quadro FX 500 Coz i don't see any diffence in my viewport i get smae poly count Tha was i get 91.47 Driver
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8569/sysinfo4vs.jpg

collingtech
01-24-2007, 02:07 PM
the d3d outperform ogl actually dont??
make some test on d3d on your 7xxx nvidia
cheers

RiKToR
01-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Softquads will change the IDs to quadro but not change the performance if not done correctly. Your 5200 cant be softquadded. And Nvidia has made hardware changes since the FX (5xxx) lines making it impossible to do a soft mod but hardware mods are possible. Some exceptions are in the 6800 series in certain GPUs NV40 NV45 and I believe one other but Im not sure. These being AGP, PCI-E are a little bit tricky and more prone to problems. From this series on I am not sure of any succesfull hardware or software mods to quadros.

I have a 6800 AGP modded to a FX 4000 so I have had a little experience in this venture. Also rivatuner had been finalized with no planned updates, and softquaddro hasnt really been a viable option since the FX series.

Szos
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
If there is a big enough benefit and there are enough bored software engineers out there, no amount of security or locking will keep software like SoftQuadro down.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.