PDA

View Full Version : APPLY a normal in Maya?

CodeNothing
01-18-2007, 12:11 AM
ok, About a year ago I attempted to figure it out with no real results, I gave up on it, now im back for more...

Im an illustrator by trade, a noob in 3D, But i have a perfectly good copy of Maya 8.0 and i do enjoy playing with 3D. So heres the deal, I use crazybump to make a normal map, no problem. I make a simple cube, no problem...

How do I APPLY the normal to the cube??

I realy need step-by-step instructions a slightly retarded person could follow.

I have browsed litteraly DOZZENS of normal map tutorials, where they go through mindless detail on how to make cages and lighting, and baking, and creating a normal map from a high res model, but then they always reach a step where they say:

STEP#134 - Apply the normal map. your Done!!1 ^_^

I do not see any obvious way to apply a normal to a material, which is odd because everyone seems to use them. And the last time i went searching for info on this i got a lot of responses like:

Simply go to your materials editor and apply new nodes to your hypershade shifter knobble then run EXECUTE/do?/my_Normal/Map.exe Then make it a new file directory in the attrobutes editor and mess with the controlls a little. Jiggle the handle, and your done!@

...Unless your using Maya 8. Then skip steps 3 and 5 and inbetween steps 2 and 4 insert a normals attribute node McBobber into your Graphics card Hamburger and then at the end set your monitor on fire as a sacrafice to the normal-map gods.

I realy dont understand most of what people are talking about in Maya. I know what planes, nodes, edges, and textures are. And thats about it. So if i need to download something as an add-on, fine, if 8.0 can do it stand-alone, great. But i realy just need someone to walk me through it once. In vivid detail.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here!

TychoCelchuuu
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Under Material Attributes, choose a file for the "Bump Mapping" field. Once you choose one, under "2d bump attributes," there's a drop down menu that says "Use As:" change that from "Bump" to "Tangent Space Normals."

Hopefully that made sense. If not just let me know. Remember to turn on High Quality Rendering to see your map. This is in Maya 7; it's probably similar in 8.

CodeNothing
01-18-2007, 01:16 AM
:bowdown: THANK YOU O GREAT ONE! YOU ARE MY SAVIOR! :bowdown:

blacker
01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, so now that you've got it figured out, we expect to see some AWESOME stuff! :)

Freewaldo
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Post some of the tutorials your doing so we can both have a blast :D

Garen
01-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't believe it is that easy. I've been dumbfounded on this subject for along time as well. Thank You!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2007, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.