PDA

View Full Version : Protfolio peice Compositing question

SpiralFace
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, I've already attempted to get an awnser from the Maya rendering Forum, but I turrned up nothing, so since I've always gotten a better response from you guys here, I figured I would pass this question onto you.

Ok, so here is my situation;

I have a game character that I am rendering for demo reel purposes, and I want to do some beauty passes on it by rendering out the thing with mutiple passes to composit them together later. To aquire this, I need to utilize multiple rendering modes. Currently this is what I have;

Game Character: Needs to be rendered in Hardware render mode, to not only show what it looks like in real time, but in my version of Maya, it is the only mode that supports Tangent space Normal maps in the renderer.

Pedistal: To give the guy a pretty base, I've used some nice procederal textures to help with the presentation of him on my reel. Of corse, this requires me to utilize iether Mental Ray or Sofware rendering to accomplish things like the Fernel effect Reflections.

Shadow/ Ambient Occlusion: Here is where I run into the issues. In order to aquire soft shadows on the Figure, I must render in Software or Mental ray mode to avoid harsh vertex shadows. Problem is that as I use the "use background" shader, it will render the shadows over parts of the figure that are normaly transparent due to a map that is applyed to it on its base color map.

I'm wondering, is there a way that I may apply a transparancy map or a mask to both the "use background" color, and an ambiant inclussion shader in order to prevent it from rendering in the areas that are transparent on the figure? This way when I composite it together, I don't get weird artifacts in areas that are transparent.

If not, how whould you guys approch this issue?

seth81
01-18-2007, 02:39 AM
hey Shadow Slayer, I remember running into something like this a few months ago. Maybe I can help... have you checked out the shaders at www.pixero.com? I personally use the mental ray shader that he has for rendering normals... but I think there's one for software rendering there too.

You could try rendering the entire thing in one mental ray pass... I just personally don't like firing off multiple renders only to comp them together after. just grab one of the mix8 or mix20 shaders and layer that in with your occlusion pass... if you haven't used the mix8 shader before there's a good tut here - http://www.deathfall.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=4124

well hopefully that helps

SpiralFace
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
No one knows?

Ok, I'll try to re-phrase the question,

When doing Ambiant inclusion and soft render passes for portfolio work, how would one go about correctly linking the Transparancy map to these shaders in MAYA.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.