PDA

View Full Version : Nuke....

andre_alder
02-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey folks,

Anybody knows Digital DomainīNuke? I post this question a weeks ago and some people told me to write to Digital Domain and ask a demo.
I wrote to them but.....:thumbsdow

I really would like to know some informations about Nuke. Is it a good compositing software? Is Nuke so good as Shake or Combustion or better? Could be a good alternative to FFI (Flint, Flame, Inferno)

Thanx

AD

Pyro2301
02-21-2003, 01:44 AM
I've heard people describe it like DF and Shake but more stable with heavy composites....actually that doesn't tell you much but it's all that I've heard.

FFI is the whole client oriented online thing which nuke is not.

-Victor

eudemonie
02-22-2003, 10:01 PM
--

same with me! I wrote a email to the support 4 weeks ago.

questions like:

- is there a installed system yet.

- is there a possibility to see nuke in action.

... no answer till today.

-
eu-

FBMachine
02-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Did you see their website for it yet? I just ran into it the other day, sounds interesting.
http://www.d2software.com/

Dan

andre_alder
02-24-2003, 01:10 PM
:thumbsdow

eudemonie
02-24-2003, 02:34 PM
--

hi FBMachine

of course i have visited their website and collected all informations
they provide.

under contact you can read:

to find out more about purchasing Nuke 3.0

sales@d2software.com

I don't want to call them, bacause I come from europe.

--

The info from the i-net site sounds interessting, but i would never
buy a system without testing it (no demo, no client-testing.sys?)

--
eu

andre_alder
02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi guys,

I try this e-mail too. And I have no answers.

But, with Shake running only in Apple machines, Cyborg dead, I really thought that Nuke will be a great "alternative" to Discreet system.

But, Digital Domain and D2software:thumbsdow

Sad but true

Ad

dg
02-25-2003, 12:00 PM
I've heard about a demo version of Nuke around the internet.... but who knows! :lightbulb

Tellerve
02-25-2003, 04:28 PM
andre-

Umm, Shake runs on pc's. Do you mean in the future they are going to stop doing so? Because that I don't know but for now there are certainly running on pcs.

Tellerve

andre_alder
02-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi Tell...

No, Apple won't support Shake for Windows. The last version is 2.5.

But, who knows in the next NAB Digital Domain give us a good news???:thumbsup:

Ad

beaker
02-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Tried out Nuke a couple days ago. Wow does the gui suck ass. It's really fast(faster than shake!), but the gui is horrible. Pop up windows for the controlls on everything(yuk)(annoyed the piss out of me in discreet Edit, Effect and Paint because you have to open and close the windows every five seconds to do anything) They need a unified interface for all the controlls to pop up in(even afterfx has this). Floating windows are bad(afterfx or any adobe package is a prime example of this). You have to a create a viewer script to see anything at different points in the composite(is annoying when in shake it is just a simple click on the node).

Everything works in float space(it ups everything you work with to a float) which makes it so you don't have to worry about pushing things up to float when your doing any blurs or color correction or blooms, etc...(to prevent banding and retaining highlights and brightness in the scene, etc...). One less thing you have to worry about. If your adept to scripting then just like shake everything in the gui has an equal in the commandline so everything is scriptable.

The time you save from it's speed will be lost in actually doing the work from the yuk interface. Just too many mouse clicks needed(spend half my mouse clicks closing windows).

andre_alder
02-28-2003, 08:42 PM
hey beaker,

Thanx

A body that tried out too told me the same words.
:thumbsdow

Ad

CaptRuss
03-05-2003, 05:46 PM
dang andre, Digital Domain kill your dog or something?

or is the unhappy thumbs down just because your email hasn't been returned?

CaptRuss
(yeah, I work there, but not in the software dept. ^_^;)

andre_alder
03-05-2003, 07:43 PM
No Capt...

I really love compositing work...

I was very excite about Nuke, at D2 site it looks great and I post a lot of msg to D2 Software and I did not have a answer.

Everythihg that I heard about Nuke come from others peoples. A body told me that was fantastic, another one told me that Nuke is not so good as Shake.

I am very sad with D2 Software and Digital Domain. We, custormers, should receive a better attention...

So, do you know something about Nuke? Is so good as Combustion or Shake? Is a good alternative to Flame?

Ad

CaptRuss
03-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Oh, I see. I honestly don't have any idea whats going on in the software dept.

as for nuke, I can't compare it to the other compositing software aps, as I've not used them. Nuke itself is pretty cool. Even a 3D head like me can get a grip on it, it has some "raw" aspects, but the underlying power could possibly make it worth working past them. I've seen guys throw together a comp in minutes, and its sharp and impressive.

But thats from me dabbling and looking over people's shoulders.

CaptRuss

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.