PDA

View Full Version : Flour Sack Jump exercise..would love crits.

Kramerica
01-17-2007, 01:10 AM
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Esk333/floursack_still.jpg

Let's try the WIP section... Here's a simple jump exercise to test out my new flour sack rig. Would love some animation critiques. Thanks!

Quicktime - 720x405 ~2.7mb (http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Esk333/floursack_JumpWeb.mov)

Thanks all.

Amit_S
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
No critiques. i'm a noob.

But its nice:applause:

gunslingerblack
01-18-2007, 06:47 PM
just taking a brief look at it, i dont think your extremes are working well enough to sell the performance, your anticipation timing needs to be adjusted to better control the flow of the animation. but essentially, instead of a flour sack jumping it almost looks like the sack is being thrown, with no personality

Kramerica
01-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Finally, some brutal honesty...:buttrock: By timing on the anticipation, are you referring to his exaggeratedly long pull back? I'm thinking maybe that should push more into the jump as well... or is not not down in his squash position for long enough?

Also, I did want to leave it relatively story and context free. I am using it to teach the basics of anticipation, follow-through, squash/stretch, and arcs. Think it would be wiser to inject some acting anyway? I'd rather not complicate things too much I think.

I'd love specific crit if you can as I am still very much an animation "learner" as well as "teacher." Or is it more along the lines of... no hope... start over.

gunslingerblack
01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
lol do as i say not as i do,

specifically you have to break down the action into it's core parts, right now he just kinda does the action, go back and break it down again into blocking where every pose is as strong as it can be then go back into your animation and start adding inbetweens , im finding arcs are super important at teh blocking phase, and the more keys you have in that part of the phase the more spontaneous and creative you can be as an artist until you finally dial in the finished piece

Kramerica
01-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the crit. I may think about going back and re-doing it for fun to give him a little more context or "personality." I'm thinking though that this should work fine as an instructional tool for those specific principles. Maybe I'll cut the end off before he falls limp and lifeless. Thanks again gunslingerblack. Hell, maybe I'll do a little flour sack series.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2007, 04:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.