PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Park Jeep, Brianellebracht (3D)

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1219/jurassic_jeep_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1219/jurassic_jeep.jpg)

Let me know what you think, it just made front page of CG Channel! :bounce: There is a problem with my site though, and its taking forever to download, so I will post the animation as soon as Sherweb fixes the problem. Thanks,
Brian

If you can't wait for the image to apear, try out these links to download the animation. :bounce:

Jeep animation (http://www.digitaldejavu.com/TEST.AVI)

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Here's another one, THanks,
Brian

http://www.digitaldejavu.com/jeep1.jpg

unrealwarfare
02-20-2003, 05:27 PM
not working :shrug:

EDITED 10 MINS LATER: Finally working - it took like 10 mins to load the image even with high speed..... but its unbelievable, superb. The lighting is just right. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 05:31 PM
I am now having some trouble with Sherweb since it got on the front page
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

they said that they are working on it, hopefully it will be fixed asap. Sorry for the inconvience. thanks,
Brian

vfx
02-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Totally awsome buddy.

Usual question: What did u use to make it?

How did u get the lighting to match that of the still? And did u model a plane to match the ground for the mattes shadow?

One suggestion, get rid of the noise filter - rather than blending the image seamless, it looks too fake.

Great work.

Like to see more!!!

SheepFactory
02-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Awesome stuff Brian. You matched the lighting very good. Imho , if you remove the jurassic park logo from the jeep it'll be much more realistic.

and I think you should write a complaint to your webhost , it took 10 minutes for the image to load.

<Edit> Plugged you at the front page , let me know if sherweb suffocates again , i'll take it down.

Ali

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 06:12 PM
I know it sucks... :( I contacted them and they said that they were working on it... Well, if you have time to download it, here is an animation with the jeep. I compressed it tons due to the slow rate of my site right now, and I might make it better later. The full version is really clear, and it is 720X480. Hope you can spend the time to download it. THanks,
Brian

Jeep animation.avI (http://WWW.DIGITALDEJAVU.COM/TEST.AVI)

lildragon
02-20-2003, 06:16 PM
This is most definitely award material if I can remember correctly. I'm still downloading it, but if it stands up to what I remember it will be added to the cgtalk hall of fame :) we need more vehicles. And from there you can link it without interuptions.

salud

JFrench
02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
This is a critique board, so don't take these too hard:

I don't think the lighting is matched all that well. At first glance, sure, but look again. Under the photo of the big rock's underside it is darker, but not black of course, but under your Jeep and wheel wells and other parts it is pitch black. That wouldn't happen in this location especially at this time of day. Especially with the rollbars.

Model wise, the rims and axle are not beveled enough. You are getting an unrealistic sharpness that throws off the whole look of the wheels.

The specular on the Jeeps lights and the rollbars are off. They are too flat overall and would also need a more concentrated light accent.

Good job though.

snipa101
im downloading your animation...665 bytes per second...hope its good :) looking from ur pics, great work.

wRy
Now better?
Here some "50mb" for you http://members.lycos.co.uk/brianellebracht/...
For pas write PM (If sure you want...)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/brianellebracht/jeep1.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/brianellebracht/jeep2.jpg

MetallDragon
02-20-2003, 06:30 PM
wow! That's a REALLY nice work!:applause:

trailerpark
02-20-2003, 06:32 PM
:bounce: Wow cool YJ, im also modeling a YJ, wondering if you used blueprints if so were did ya find them? lighting is great.
there is one thing that i noticed, most of the time people go 4x4ing they drop there tire presure(for better grip) a little more buldge in the bottum of the tires would look more realistic.

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks!! Sorry about the lighting and such. To be honest, after rendering these images, I really only spent about 5 min each compositing them, so I agree that they still need some work. Hope you like the animation besides the bad compression. I spent alot of time on that so please take a look, its the jeep going over a hill that I videotaped. Thanks for all of your replies!!
Brian

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
No, sorry no blueprints. Belive me, I looked everywhere and I just can't find any of this model, or any other of a jeep actually. Luckly, my Cousin has this Jeep, a red one, and I used my digital Camera to take alot of photos for reference. I found this much easier to model than a car because of all of the flat surfaces. Thanks,
Brian

BTW Thanks LilDragon!! I have been trying really hard to get on the front page for quite some time now. Were you able to check out the animation??

peachstapler
02-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Great Jeep! Besides the 15-minute download for the two images, I like the attention to detail in the tire area, and your texturing is top notch. The dried mud and dirty look fits this model well. Your lighting matches very appropriately, but watch the roll bar carriage and the flood lights (especially in the bird's eye view), because the light hits them slightly odd and affects the believability. Might try toying with the specular levels, but it's great for only spending five minutes compositing.

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks! Funny you mentioned the spec level. After I created these images, I spent alot of time on making my new Bmp and specular maps, you will be able to see them on the animation.That is if you can ever download it. I apologise again about the speed, they are looking into it now. THanks,
Brian

JamesMK
02-20-2003, 07:35 PM
That's friggin impressive! Did they like give out free truckloads of patience and coffee some place near you, or what?

There was some comment about the dark area below the jeep being darker than the area under the big rock... I'd say you could easily get that exact effect if it was all a real photo too. As an exposure artefact from the camera and film.

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Yea!!! Seeing as how Sherweb is still not working right now:annoyed: . My good Frined Matt Rizos is letting me host it at his site, you shouldn't have any problems there . Let me know what you think. Thanks for all of your comments!!
Brian
Keep in mind, this is highly compressed and the quality is low, just to keep is small, but at least you can get an idea of what it is supposed to look like.

jeep animation.avi (http://www.matchmovin.com/test.avi)

Meaty
02-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Aside from the missing driver, totally believable, great motions!

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah I know, sorry about that I am not much of a character Modeler, so I just wanted to focus on the jeep. Thanks,
Brian

brianellebracht
02-20-2003, 08:56 PM
My site is up and running again, so it should all be working quickly now. Thanks alot,
Brian

FusionDG
02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
everything looks great, wonderful work.

The animation has a nice, natural movement to it.

the only thing that i noticed if i were to nit-pic was that at the end of the video, you can see the shadow of the fellow videotaping the jeep, because the sun is behind him.
But the shadow on the jeep itself looks as if the sun is directly overhead.

But really great work!:applause:

ytrabbit
02-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Whoa! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I'd just watched a live video feed! Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep needs you on board!:thumbsup:

ninjacore
02-20-2003, 10:05 PM
superb work!! i love it

Someone mentioned blueprints... check out www.suurland.com

this dude has tons of blueprints and some kickass CG stuff!:buttrock:

funnydoodle
02-20-2003, 10:47 PM
i noticed u used the same texture for the tires. at least make some texture variations for em - adds realism.

qu2k
02-20-2003, 11:20 PM
about the animation

whos driving that car? :P

lil' rothko
02-20-2003, 11:48 PM
"Clever girl!"

:beer:

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Hello,

My demo reel should be done sometime next week. It is going to be about 2 min long. Most of it involves camera tracking and Compositing. If anybody is interested in a copy of my demo reel on DVD, VHS or VCD, please email me your address and contact info. By doing this I can overnight it to you as soon as it is finished. :cool: Thanks aot!
Brian Ellebracht

Brian_Ellebracht@yahoo.com

Mahlikus
02-21-2003, 12:25 AM
You know how really this thing looks. So real, I was going to slam you for posting real stuff and claiming it was CG. Ah j/k
Well done man!!! :xtreme: :beer:

Amazing stuff

Antilles
02-21-2003, 12:34 AM
about the area under the jeep being too dark, its not. The underside of the arch is getting much more bounce light from its surroundings than the underside of the jeep, therefor it is lighter. The closer the object is to the ground, the darker the underside will be(less light is getting to it), unless its on a white surface with the sun coming in at like a 20 degree angle or something so it bounces up under it. I would just say tinker with the spec on the metals etc. Now you have to make one with raptor claw marks on it or something...:)

Ultragames
02-21-2003, 01:00 AM
sry man. Find somebody with the heart to host for imgs for a while. I have hugly fast connection, and it had taken like2 min to load the first 25 pix or so. Sorry, not going to wait for that.

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 01:04 AM
thats cool. If you check the 2nd page 4th link down, is a place where you can download the amination quickly. I will host my images there as well tomorrow so that they will load quickly instead of foever. THanks,
Brian Ellebracht

roguenroll
02-21-2003, 01:53 AM
that animation is amazing, if there was an equally realistic driver, you would even think twice that is was a comp.

great work.

gandan
02-21-2003, 02:01 AM
hehe... your 2nd pix shows both the wheels have the same mud staint. That actually showed me that it was modeled. Very nice.

draconix
02-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Actually, the Jurassic Park jeeps weren't human driven. i like this a lot, very realistic. :thumbsup:

ThirdEye
02-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Perfect modeling, lighting, texturing, compositing. :thumbsup:

AJE
02-21-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by draconix
Actually, the Jurassic Park jeeps weren't human driven. i like this a lot, very realistic. :thumbsup:

This is the Jeep from JP1, which were driven by people. You're thinking of JP2 with the Explorers...
:)

lorsman
02-21-2003, 04:14 AM
Hey guys i been lookign aroudn for a bit and im amazed well i noticed he was having some issues with his server so i put the anim on my site so yall to get it easier
http://www.whosleeps.com/jeepanim.avi
my website is still in the works im so busy with shool i havent had alot of time to work on it but hey theres the link

http://www.whosleeps.com/jeepanim.avi
peace out
:beer:

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks alot lorsman! If you need anything let me know. Thanks,
Brian

lorsman
02-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Hey guys just saying sorry for my horrid spelling. I was on the phone watching tv and eating dinner while i typed the other post. ohh well have a great night/day whatever.:airguitar

oxygen_77
02-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Argh... seems like any time I start modeling something someone else posts a phenomenal image of the same type of model. I'm making a jeep too, but mine is a bit more 'low-poly' because it's for a scene on a 2.5 Km bridge with other cars and such. See the pic below for what I have so far. Great job by the way!! what year/model jeep did you base your model on?

http://monsoonstudios.netfirms.com/Lightwave/DiggyDuggySmall.jpg

le_faya
02-21-2003, 12:52 PM
So beautiful work!!!:applause: :applause:

Maybe you said it before but what did you used to realized this??

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Not sure what Year it is, I can ask my cousin, didn't really look into it.Its an older one though. How long did it take? About 2 weeks from start (modeling) to finnish (compositing). That is two weeks between a full time job and classes. :surprised
What software did I use??
Maya 4.5,
Bouju 1.3 and
AfterEffects 5.5

Thanks,
Brian

stephen2002
02-21-2003, 01:11 PM
that is amazing! Could you post a higher res animation. The stills look excellent, espeically the 2nd one that is shot from the top.

The animation is very belivable, except for the fact that it has no driver.

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Have you seen my download rates? At this speed, it would take a week to download it at higher res. Lol. I was just on the phone with Sherweb, and they apologized about the slow speed, and that they are working on it right now. If they fix it, I will most definetly post a higher res version of it. THe higher res is still only around 5-6 mb. Thanks,
Brian E

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 01:45 PM
My site is running pretty fast again, I think they fixed the problem, so I think you should be able to view the images faster and download the animation faster! THanks,
Brian

My site is about 50% finnished. It can be viewed at

DigitalDeJaVu (http://www.digitaldejavu.com)

I only have a few still images up, it should be all done by next week with more images and animations.

john doe
02-21-2003, 03:45 PM
very nice website, easy to navigate, but still waiting for the animations section to come up :) kepp up the good works and inspire us all :buttrock:

john doe
02-21-2003, 03:55 PM
just saw that jeep animation, really impressive!! the lighting, modeling and animation is very good....although people say that yur lighting has some problems but i think wat u have achieve now is better that a lot of people, so show us more :wip: cos this animation is too short to satisfy us hehe

brianellebracht
02-21-2003, 04:02 PM
to short? lol. Sorry. :rolleyes: But, I will have a reel that is going to be about 2 min long, and 90% of it is going to be stuff very similar to the jeep animation. I hope it will be done by the end of next week, all depends on how long my computer is going to take to render the last few animations. Thanks,
Brian

meats
02-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi Brian,

Your stuff just keeps getting better and better! This is looking really good.:cool:

Congrats on the front page (and the front page at CgChannel!)

Your kicking some major @ss!

raine
02-21-2003, 07:49 PM
I like this jeep alot... loads much faster on here than it did the other day when i ran into it on a different post.. atleast i think it was a different one. Very nice composite. I havent seen the animation yet because im at work :( ... and how do people get to post such large images?..... the maximum that i can post is some very small size.... anyways.. again, nice work!!

raine
02-21-2003, 07:50 PM
I like this jeep alot... loads much faster on here than it did the other day when i ran into it on a different post.. atleast i think it was a different one. Very nice composite. I havent seen the animation yet because im at work :( ... and how do people get to post such large images?..... the maximum that i can post is some very small size.... anyways.. again, nice work!! :thumbsup:

Monkeyfarm
02-21-2003, 08:18 PM
WOW!

How did you model all those rocks and the vegitation?!

;)

Nice work!

However as a Jeep owner that has done a fair share of rock crawling, perhaps you should add a few dents and scratches. If you did that, I'd say these images would be totally undetectable from a real Jeep.

Again, very good work!

EVIL
02-21-2003, 08:23 PM
make some more mud splatters against the door.. bo small dust spray stuff.. but real splatters.. like bloodsplatters..

uday
02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by .Hammer-Stroke.
make some more mud splatters against the door.. bo small dust spray stuff.. but real splatters.. like bloodsplatters..

If you could make your Avatar inCG i d believe cloning is for real:)

nice Jeep by the way......:bounce:

Lifthz
02-21-2003, 09:18 PM
WOw.. :bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

uday
02-21-2003, 09:23 PM
my 2 cents.....
add a driver to make it look CG.:eek:

lildragon
02-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Like I said award material, if you didn't have that much grain in the pics I would've been pleasantly convinced ;) I dig the dirt and attention to detail in the threads and the jeep overall. Very tight integration with the tracking :thumbsup:

I have a tough decision here man, wish one do you want in the gallery? :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very inspiring!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Matt
02-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Needs a lot of work on the lighting before it can look real.

I'd also say work on the mesh a little bit more. It's too simple.

clomok
02-22-2003, 02:11 AM
i like it, except for one thing, and it kinda bugs me, in the movie, there is no driver, lol, i dunno, but that kinda bugs me, oo well, i like it though

brianellebracht
02-22-2003, 07:02 AM
You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very inspiring!.

Thanks lildragon! :applause: Wow! I am really surprised that this Post on my jeep has recieved so much feedback. Seeing as how my Web server is back up tp speed, I am going to upload the high res version and post a link to it tomorrow morning. It will be between 5-6 mb. If it is slow, I had a few offers for someone else to host it, so hopefully it will be up tomorrow either way. THankyou for all of the replies. Again, sorry about the fact that there isn't a driver. I have fixed the Problem of the Buldging tires issue, it will be updated on the animation that is in the works. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or email me. THanks again,
Brian Ellebracht

aenema
02-22-2003, 12:35 PM
i just checked out the animations, top notch :) that jeep is bad ass keep up the good work :bounce:

Jann-Lee
02-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I like the work, great job keep it up!

PS I like your signature from Gattica , good film :)

SmileAlwaze
02-23-2003, 05:20 AM
Great work! Can't wait to see more!
Lauren:thumbsup:

mikefeil
02-23-2003, 06:52 AM
awesome work....what did u use to make the rig..constraints ?

or did u follow as tute...this is just what i want to do for a project....but riggin the damm thing is so hard...anyway awesome stuff..I thought I was looking at a photo :) :applause:

brianellebracht
02-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, here is a link to the high res version,

How did I do the Suspension? I Just rigged it like a quadruped with "reverse" foot, and Parented the Wheels to the Bones. ;)

640X480
Indeo at 60% quality
no sound
14.1mb

Gattica was great... Kind of scary though that its almost possible to do that.

High res Jeep ani (http://www.digitaldejavu.com/final jeep small.avi)

Maroonie
02-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Brian,

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread.... REALLY awesome work. I love the dirt on the jeep - very cool
!

M

brianellebracht
02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Here is a close up of the jeep. Sorry if the composite isn't done very well, only spent a few min on it. thanks,
Brian
http://www.digitaldejavu.com/jeep3.jpg

uucww
05-09-2003, 07:50 AM
~~good!

facial
05-09-2003, 10:54 AM
:D :D :thumbsup:
Well done

brianellebracht
05-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks! I am working on a Rubicon right now, with out all of those little extra things. I will post it in a week or so when I get the composite finnished.
Thanks,
Brian Ellebracht

Tidus_44
05-20-2003, 03:42 PM
wow , you did a really great job on this. The only things i see are with texturing, i agree with the noise filter its a little fake, maybe raise the intesity of the noise and blur it out a bit. Another thing, dont use the same textures on each tire even if you used 2 dirt textures for either side it would add alot more realism. Your lighting is great and your model is strong. one more thing (sorry) on the first still there with the man walking in behind the jeep, it looks as if the 2 passanger tires are lifted or not touching the ground maybe if you tried changing the angel a lil bit. But kick ass job, PS. i disagree keep the JP sign on the jeep it adds character and its probably what you were going for , duh. :buttrock: :beer: :applause: :drool: :thumbsup:

brianellebracht
05-20-2003, 04:26 PM
thanks alot, I am working on a new animation, where the jeep is going faster, flips over and gets smashed... but its taking a while to create the geometry of the scene to match the rocks in the video footage for proper shadows... I may end up using different footage. I have changed my tire textures, and added animated lattice deformers, so that the tires look deflated. THanks alot,
Brian
BTW, I added the JP logo because that was the first movie that really made me decided that this is what I want to do :buttrock:

chenxuan
07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
is very very perfect picture.I like your map.very natural.I don't know how do it for you.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.