PDA

View Full Version : xsi 6 maya import?

Harout
01-16-2007, 09:01 PM
So I'm guessing maya importability isnt an option in XSI 6 either.....

has anyone compiled the plugin that can be found on softimage's wiki? Does it work? and if so...is it better than COLLADA?

Thanks

maddav99
01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Dude, where were you when all the hub-bub about crasswalk was being explained. Crosswalk is XSI's implentation of Collada and should do just about everything you need it to do.

Harout
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I try to stay away during any hub-bub.....

:)

thanks for the info.....so I guess I'll have to find a collada exporter for Maya.

I think I saw one...feel free software...or something

janimatic
01-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i think you should use the tools provided with XSI6, there is a maya plugin packaged witht the xsi6 install <xsi install path>\Addons\MayaConverter\
Have a look at Importing and Exporting With Crosswalk in the doc

maddav99
01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
It should already be set with Crosswalk in XSI. Look in your

C:\Softimage\XSI_6.0\Addons\MAYAConverter\

folder, and it'll have a sub-folder for whatever version of maya your'e running.

If you still want it you can find the Maya Collada plug here

http://www.feelingsoftware.com/component/option,com_docman/Itemid,80/lang,en/

maddav99
01-17-2007, 12:55 AM
i think you should use the tools provided with XSI6, there is a maya plugin packaged witht the xsi6 install <xsi install path>\Addons\MayaConverter\
Have a look at Importing and Exporting With Crosswalk in the doc

I was submitting my reply right as you did and didn't realize you had already posted an answer.

Harout
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Awesome ...thanks guys!

I tried it out last night...and it worked! well sorta...

I have a rigged character, and it didnt import the bones as bones...but rather as clusters and nulls....which I guess is okay....

BUTTT....

no IK ...just FK.... I guess the workaround would be to constrain the nulls to a new set of bones/skeleton....right? But it doesnt allow for a complete transfer. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (dont get me wrong...I"m super impressed how its brought in most of the components including blendshapes, and some attributes...which arent connected at all...I guess I can do that.

I was hoping it would be easy....well easier:rolleyes:.....I guess if it was...I would be hoping that it would do all my work for me...hehheee:)

mdee
01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Awesome ...thanks guys!

I tried it out last night...and it worked! well sorta...

I have a rigged character, and it didnt import the bones as bones...but rather as clusters and nulls....which I guess is okay....

BUTTT....

no IK ...just FK.... I guess the workaround would be to constrain the nulls to a new set of bones/skeleton....right? But it doesnt allow for a complete transfer. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (dont get me wrong...I"m super impressed how its brought in most of the components including blendshapes, and some attributes...which arent connected at all...I guess I can do that.

I was hoping it would be easy....well easier:rolleyes:.....I guess if it was...I would be hoping that it would do all my work for me...hehheee:)

I don't think any kind of IK is supported (look at the docs, I don't remeber out of my head).

I know for sure that weights are exchangable, which for me is great thing.

MoonMonkey
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Do any of you guys know if this so called magic "Crosswalk" works. I mean to say has anyone had reasonable results. I have just exported a scene with multiple materials to maya and ended up with a obscene number of nodes in Maya. Anybody had the same problem?

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.