PDA

View Full Version : XSI lighting problem when rendering on different computers

Shawn Woods
03-26-2002, 07:22 AM
I'm having a lighting problem with XSI 1.5 and 2.0.

It seems that whenever a render crashes (which is quite often) and I restart the render from the frame it was on, I constantly get a lighting change. This also happens when I render the same file on different computers.

I've heard this to be a known problem with XSI and I was wondering what the solution would be. It is the exact same file on all machines with no changes made to anything.

CoolCalb
03-27-2002, 03:56 PM
thats strange.. I never heard about such a problem.
Whats I've heard was about differences between NT and Irix
renders.. but it was never confirmed..

usually I render on several machines the same scene, different
frames.. never had such a problem, not with 1.5 not with 2.0.1

it's weird :confused:

may God help you ;)

are you sure you did not load the saved scene after crash,
and modified anything? even in the render option...
optimization parameters.. and such??

rubery
03-27-2002, 07:30 PM
Shawn

Don't worry Youre not alone with this problem my mate had the exact same trouble, and as far as i am aware still has. If he ever sorts out the problem i will post his solution.

Good luck..............

EdHarriss
03-27-2002, 07:46 PM
I've seen this happen when the machines have slightly different versions of mental ray or scene shaders installed.

spazm
03-28-2002, 06:53 AM
im having the same problem
cant figure it out
i tryed everythin......

i love xsi but for me this is its disadvantage......

Shawn Woods
03-28-2002, 10:46 AM
XSI is a wonderful package but the constant crashes and this flake in the rendering drives me nuts.

FYI, no the scene hasn't changed at all. I load the exact same file after a crash or stopped render and this happens.

spazm
03-28-2002, 11:44 AM
i hope someone can tell us how to fix it or ill call my xsi teacher next week opefully he knows whats up :)

by the way ed harriss I hope u can find a solution to our problem .

:beer:

EdHarriss
03-28-2002, 08:14 PM
I wish I could help, but aside from checking your mental ray and shader versions on your slaves I can't think of any reason why this would be happening. I did some renders the other day on 75 different machines. Win NT, 2000, Linux and Irix. The images all looked the same. (there were very, very slight differences between the *nix and the windows images, but nothing that was visible to the human eye.)

I would tell softimage about your problem. They are very helpful. Just send your bug report to support@softimage.com

Shawn Woods
03-29-2002, 02:12 AM
I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you. It seems this kind of thing only happens to some people. Perhaps it's a hardware configuration glitch or something else minute.

If we come across anything here at our school (Capilano College), I'll keep you posted.

BTW, has anyone come across a message that says Loading: Hidden Cluster 76 or 77 and then takes a really long time to save or open the file at that point?

:bounce: (Good squash and stretch!)

JoeRedstall
04-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Yup, I've just had this problem with some of our XSI renders as well. As far as I can see there are two possible soloutions:

1: Keyframe your light source and interest at frame 0 (best do one for translation and rotation)

2: If you're batch rendering on multiple computers try and manually assign frames to each one. ie: give one pc frames 1-50, another one 51-100 etc... Not the most efficient way of doing it but I think it gets around the problem

Hope this helps

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.