PDA

View Full Version : Project: Europa - Concepts |16-01-07| First Concept post!

Gridur
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi all!

I've started working on some concept designs for a game that me and a partner my studio are going to produce soon, This project will be a fast one, I guess we'll be putting down about 6 months of work on the game as soon as the design doc's are finished as well as working on other titles simultaniously.

I'll put up a project site asap as well, to check out some other titles made by the studio check out the site at: http://www.spellofplay.com

Im the only graphic artist at the studio so i got my behinds pretty much stuffed with work hehe so dont get to grumpy if I get stuck in another project for periods of time ;P

Anyway, heres the first concept WIP, the characters will go through a nice refine process and get some color at the end, the reason that i dont make more detailed concepts is because the game will be a top-view action shooter. Just makeing them to get a hold of the characters in full!

I'll try to update this thread as regulary as i can!

Hope you like them and c&c's are much appriciated!

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9895/enemysheet1mo5.jpg

sharpbrothers
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
They look like Warhammer 40k minatures. It will be interesting to see what they look like in 3D.

Vertex Groover
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice concepts!The Granade guy reminds me of the first boss from Smash TV! and the flamer guy looks pretty sweet.
It'd be nice to see how they progress...

Gridur
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
sharpbrothers: That sounds cool, Yeah im psyched up for doing some low-poly stuff again, it was ages since i worked with 3d now, But the newest version of Blender is installed and ready so Im going to start cracking with it soon =)

Vertex Groover: It's fun that you mention Smash TV! That game is one of my greatest influence for doing Project Europa, of coarse I'll make good use of todays technology perks by doing it so I think it will become a nice combo of oldschool and newschool =)
Glad you liked the concepts, here comes a update with some basic colors!

Anyway, I thought I could upload a WIP piece, im getting near the finish line with these monsters, Im thinking about filling anotherone with the same amount (9 of them) and then the enemy concepts of the game is about done and I can proceed to other stuff like Boss concepts, Items, Weapons and Enviroment!

Hope you like the progress!

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1459/enemysheet1colorkb5.jpg

Gridur
01-18-2007, 01:43 AM
I started working on one of the enemy models tonight, the minigunner!
I got some tweaking to do but im pretty happy with the progress, This model will be used to get sprite frames for the game so I wont get to much into details, maybe I'll Zbrush it some just for the fun of it or maybe for promotional usage.
I havent worked with 3d in a while now so I am abit rusty at the moment!

Anyway, I hope you like it and crits are most welcome at this stage!!!

Edit: Took away the old mesh image, no use to show that one of now is it ;)

Gridur
01-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Started all over from the start with the mini guy, i didnt like the result at all from the one i posted last time, thisone does stand up to my criteria though =)
This is the first humanoid model that i have done with the boxmodeling technique, Im a old fox and I started modding for Quake last time i did humanoid models, thats like 10years+ ago hehe.
So this is the first one, i got some tweeking to do before i map it, we'll se if i go with normalmaps or just color map on this one, the minigun model will be done seperatly and joined together ingame or when rendering sprites. Im not sure really if the game should be in 3d or 2d, Im open for arguments for them both =)

C&C's are much welcome at this stage! =)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6189/wipmini5nb.jpg

Gridur
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Today I have worked with the basic color map, I havent accually started to "color" it yet but all the shades are takeing form, I want to have a nice grayscaled version to start with so I wont get any suprises in the future :P

Anyway im happy with the results so far and I cant wait to start working in some colors to it soon =D

Hope you like it and C&C's are as welcome as usual ;P

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9383/wipmini21ml.jpg

Gridur
01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Just finished up the color map for the minigunner, pretty happy with the result som im going to proceed with the riggin and animation asap (wich is unknown ground for me so this will get pretty wild in the end hehe).
Anyway, critiqe is great at this point so I wont run around thinking that the sun is shiny and the moon is big and everybody else knows different ;P

Here it is!

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9249/finished19zj.jpg

bbox85
01-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm thinking the Mini-Gunner's... err.. Man Boob if you will needs to be defined a little more from the side and perhaps the nipples should be pointing downward. For an obese build I think the Man Boob should be defined into the side of his body ending somewhere around the middle of the armpit.

I think this picture of Fat Bastard could better explain what I'm trying to say:

Psyk0
01-25-2007, 04:34 AM
That looks like a fun project you got there.

Even if it's too late at this stage, here's a few things that could help you...

It's important to focus on the silhouette first. Apply a 100% black material and look at the whole model as you work, you will quickly spot areas that need to be tweaked (like some parts need more definition, while others wouldnt suffer from losing some polys).

Be efficient: if you have some edges/faces that dont add to the shape, get rid of them and redistribute them elsewhere. Example: the two edges that run from the front of the face to the back of the head. To some extent they could be removed, or spread apart to define more roundness to the skull.

The mesh is kind of uneven in some areas (you have some rather large areas that have edges very far apart, while others are too close). It might not be such a bad thing but try to represent the landmark areas of the anatomy, it'll be easier to texture, animate and will look more believable (yes even if it's stylized).

You might encounter some problems with animations, areas like the elbow and knees usually need extra loops to give better deformation.

The UV's arent too bad, maybe the layout could be improved (for easier painting and more efficient use of space.

You clearly have the skills to do the job even if it's been a while :). I hope that didnt sound too preachy lol, it's just that ive recently worked on very low counts and the specs really made me focus on being efficient.

smurfbizkit2
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
The only thing I have to point out is the UVMap, as it is now you have at least 20% of the map as wasted space.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.