PDA

View Full Version : Plugin People?

Nonproductive
02-20-2003, 03:09 PM
My Upgrade to v10 arrived the other day and since I have had time - I've been trynig to break it...

Bugs aside...one thing I find to be a pain is selecting the items you want in a rig to animate. I'm spoiled at this point because in Lightwave I have a "Character Picker" for ACS4 and in XSI Experience you have the Synoptic View. Scrolling through the PWS or trying to hit the bone I want in the main view is getting tiresome. This is completely one of those "when you're used to doing it the easy way, anything requiring more effort is too much" kind of things.

So...any takers on developing a "synoptic view" plugin for A:M? Basically, what you'd want is either a generic character image in the background or an image of the model rendered in the spread eagle pose. Then the ability to add shapes (circle, square, diamond, triangle...) as an overlay on the image - place them where you want and "point" them at specific bones in A:M. So if I click the foot circle on the plugin interface - in A:M the toe bone gets selected. If I click the foot square that I've placed - the foot locater bone gets sleected in A:M.

Is this even possible with their SDK?

amsmf
02-20-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm not a programmer so I don't know about it being possible or not, but I wanted to say that this would be a FANTASTIC feature (plugin or otherwise) to have. I agree, looking for the right bone can be tiresome.

My Fault
02-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Totally agree. I suggested this to Steve in the past and he definitely liked the idea. I've also asked a few of the guys who were more familiar with the SDK and at the time (that was like 6 months ago I think) they said it couldn't be done.

I'll email Steve again. I would suggest anyone else that is interested in this should do the same. The more suggestions they get about any given feature/wish, the more they will take it seriously.

Nonproductive
02-20-2003, 05:34 PM
I've passed the request on to Steve as well. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed ;)

walasek
02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Being one of the plugin developers, I would have to look pretty closely at the API to see if there was something that could be done. I really don't know if there is a way in the API to tell the program to select a particular bone and have it stay selected after returning from the plugin. I can definitely traverse to a selected bone, but to have it *stay* selected after leaving the plugin is another story...

I will try and take a look and see...

Nonproductive
02-20-2003, 10:05 PM
That would kick butt, Walasek!

If I can offer any kind of assistance at all feel free to PM me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.