PDA

View Full Version : solid arm ik rig?

simon-s
02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
I recently came across a solid ik leg rig controlled by 6 nulls allowing full realistic pivitol movement in the feet. Fantastic!
However, I am having problems finding a good ik system for arms. The one i have is ok but certain movements are limited and the elbows seem to snap into awkward positions.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a solid ik arm rig?

Or maybe I should stick to forward kinematics for arm movement!

Any advice welcome!!!

Thanks!:wip:

LyonHaert
02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
where was this leg IK rig? i'm studying rigging atm for my next project (my first humanoid animation), so i'm not too sure about arm IK rigs, but i'm really liking the ACS4 biped rig so far.

webfox
02-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Neither IK nor FK is perfect for all occasions.

FK allows flowing arcs that are important in graceful animation. IK interpolates between the linear goals of a target and tends to make the character's movement more puppet-like. It is, however, absolutely necessary for making a character's hand stationary on an object while the body or items higher up the hierarchy still move.

Ideally, one wants a system where you can turn IK on and off.

For example, if you wanted a character to pull the mythical sword from the stone and then swing it all in the same shot, you'd have to have IK enabled as they grabbed the sword, adjusted their footing and weight, then pulled it free.. and THEN you'd want IK turned off as the smooth, fluid arcs of a sword swinging around were to be animated.

I have not developed a perfectly satisfactory IK/FK rig for the arms yet, but one thing I do use is IK_Blender (http://www.spatial-design.com/plugins/index.htm) to turn IK on and off.

If I ever find anything that makes me really happy, I'll make a tutorial.

Good luck in your search.

SplineGod
02-21-2003, 08:04 AM
IK/FK blender is ok. Also as, Webfox said, I dont use IK on the arms unless the hands need to stick to something.
One thing I do IF I need to use IK is to rough out the basic movements with it and then use DStorms IK Baker. Then I just use FK to sweeten it up. You can always go back and turn Ik back on and retweak.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.