PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestion: 3D model database/library

dmbartos
01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
My group ends up reusing a lot of 3D elements for animations and print work. We are looking to create a database/library for these models which could be queried. Does anyone know of a premade system for organizing and searching for custom models? It would be great to have something which incorporates a thumbnail or image preview of each model.

Along with that, does anyone know of anything similar for creating a custom materials and texture library?

Most of our work is done in Maya and 3DSMax. We also use .STP files as engineering references.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fency
01-19-2007, 03:58 AM
what your describing sounds like database orginization. if you have a bunch of content that needs to be reused all the time you need to properly name your files and set up your folder structure to make finding what your looking for much easier. i spent alot of time on my last contract job just reorganizing files and setting up a folder structure for the company. so that we could find and use textures much faster and easier. in doing so i found alot of duplicate data and partial files that i could deleat and save precious hard drive space. hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2007, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.