PDA

View Full Version : Talc/dust clouds effects

AsaMovshovitz
01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi,

I am new to Pflow and I need help to recreate this sort of particle effect
http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/Film/filmresultsmain.aspx?detailView=1&pk=11&bk0=0&masterID=465-29&filmFromFilm=True&bc=TIB

It doesn't need to be in slow motion, but it does need to have the some feel to it,
big clouds of dust at the start and then going up and swirl around itself.

I looked at all the smoke tutorials I could find on the web but cannot even get close to what this looks like. did any one here ever tried doing this sort of talc effect or even movement with particle flow?

and ideas/links or even kind words would be most welcomed,

Cheers,

Asa

scrimski
01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
I would use a very little gravity and a few wind sources with turbulences, different events with different particle speeds, linked via agetests with a large variation.

Show us your current result and your flow, would be much easier to point you in the right direction.

AsaMovshovitz
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I would use a very little gravity and a few wind sources with turbulences, different events with different particle speeds, linked via agetests with a large variation.

Show us your current result and your flow, would be much easier to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the replay scrimski,
here is a QT of what i have now, it is 5 diffrent types of pflow test all layerd up in after effects,

Asa

lucavfx
01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replay scrimski,
here is a QT of what i have now, it is 5 diffrent types of pflow test all layerd up in after effects,

Asa

Hi Asa,

What you have now is not bad as a starting point.
Here are just some suggestions:
-just remember to tweak only one value at the time, very little at the time as particle tweaking takes a lot of time and it's very easy to loose the plot of what you're doing.
-there is too much going on, try focusing on two pflow systems only, one for the first part of the effect and one for when the particles start to expand and settle. (you can always add additional passes once you/the director are happy with it :)
-add a little bit more of birth position randomness, reduce the opacity a lot, increase the size of the sprites and increase the life.
-you might even try using your pass as a mask for some dust/smoky puffy stock footage. It works nicely, give it a try!
-...if in panic there's no ashame in relying on particleIllusion (combustion) ;)
-but I can't stress this enough particle setting up is like baking a cake you need to mix the right amount of ingredients and dose them one at the time :)

hope it helps
good luck
Luca

mackdadd
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
check out some of these tutorials. Allan's the master.

http://www.allanmckay.com/html/tuts_oldvidtuts.html

If you have some cash to spend on this, check out FumeFX.

Lman
01-16-2007, 11:11 PM
check out some of these tutorials. Allan's the master.

http://www.allanmckay.com/html/tuts_oldvidtuts.html

If you have some cash to spend on this, check out FumeFX.

second that with his vids where higher Q, FumeFX is great but you need to have the use of it alot to get your moneys worth , its a great bit of kit to have when you do need it.

AsaMovshovitz
01-17-2007, 08:54 AM
thanks guys, it seems that afterburn gave me what they wanted, we almost got fumeFX for this.

Cheers,

Asa

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2007, 08:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.