PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Maya to Zbrush and back to Maya principe...

LunaticuMaster
01-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Lot of people,when it comes to modeling characters would first block the shape in maya and then refine and add details in Zbrush and then return back to maya to make an animatable mesh based on the detailed on from zbrush.

people say it is very important to make the correct edge loops in maya (the first time).

I don't get this.You would change the topology anyway in the final stage when you import the detailed model from zbrush to maya.

so my question is why is it important to get the right edge loops in maya in the blocking stage.In zbrush you deal with milions of polygons so the topology does not matter anyway(as long as you keep it reasonable of course).

Cheers

ManDay
01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Hm never tried it but I watched some videos about the workflow in ZBrush and there I found nothing mentioned. Did you ever have problems with that issue?

LunaticuMaster
01-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I am just confused about that MUST GET THE RIGHT EDGE LOOPS IN THE MAYA BLOCK STAGE thing...

I mean in maya you can just quicklu get the right proportions and not lose time on edge loops cause anyway you will recreate them in the final stage when you import the detailed model from zbrush to maya.

GingerDave
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Topology flow is important, as this is what i think the basis for the details that you create in zbrush, when you bring your displacement map into into maya this is what your details are going to be placed ontop of, if you change that your going to be moving the area that youve just created your details on.

im pretty sure this is why, im no expert. To me its the same logic as texture mapping, you dont remodel once youve textured do you?

LordMcGoat
01-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Lot of people,when it comes to modeling characters would first block the shape in maya and then refine and add details in Zbrush and then return back to maya to make an animatable mesh based on the detailed on from zbrush.

people say it is very important to make the correct edge loops in maya (the first time).

I don't get this.You would change the topology anyway in the final stage when you import the detailed model from zbrush to maya.

so my question is why is it important to get the right edge loops in maya in the blocking stage.In zbrush you deal with milions of polygons so the topology does not matter anyway(as long as you keep it reasonable of course).

Cheers

Ok as I understand it, the workflow you're talking about is you make a proxy mesh in maya, sculpt that in zbrush, and then use that as a reference for building your model in maya - the method described in Gnomon's Sculpting Human Anatomy DVD.

I love this workflow as I love using zbrush to create the form of my characters rather than just the small details, but I wouldn't say "lots" of people use it, it's pretty cumbersome depending on your speed in zbrush, since you sculpt a mesh that will never be used outside of reference, it's much more common to just create your final topology first time in maya and then refine it in Zbrush.

But if you do use the workflow you describe, then no, topology doesn't matter much. If you're topology follows the detail you're sculpting then it makes life easier in ZBrush, since you're not sculpting "against the grain" as it were, but outside of that, you can use any wierd and strange topology you want - the mesh will only ever be a reference.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2007, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.