PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave - PC or Mac

dukestreet
03-26-2002, 04:00 AM
I'm currently getting up to speed on Lightwave 7.0b, love the new features, but my main concern is that I'm on a Mac. After reading the boards I'm thinking I might be missing out on some things by not being on a PC.

And I know its not just rendering speed. Anyone have some good advice?

Vinsoviet
03-26-2002, 04:25 AM
At work I've had the oportunity to work with LW on both platforms, and to be honest LW just simply handles better on the PC. Although I know Mac has the power to drive LW, the PC just seemed to flow better with the program. And since I've been using BOTH systems since I could sit in an office chair; I don't think I'm bias. There are Mac things and Windows things, LW just seems to be a windows thing.

Machines:

Mac G4
1 GHz
1 gig RAM

P4
1.2GHz
512 RAM

Even though the Mac looks tougher, the PC still won me over..... Oh, and the machines are cheaper too.:shrug:

clifford
03-26-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm running LW on a PC but i like Mac and PC in the same way ...
The basic LW could be used on the two systems with no problem and you'll achieve everything with almost the same efforts but ...
There are a lot of plugins available on PC that are not developped for Mac ... that's why I choose PC ...

dies-irae
03-26-2002, 03:04 PM
i use lw on pc but i really like some features on the mac interface, like the possibility to shrink windows and panels to one line,

i found a solution!!!
look at my post on the interfaces thread...
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4424

i started using it at home, and i had to beg my boss to let me install it at the office...awesome (i had to tweak a bit windowblinds to get the menu buttons working, if anyone's interested, just ask...)

dukestreet
03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by clifford
I'm running LW on a PC but i like Mac and PC in the same way ...
The basic LW could be used on the two systems with no problem and you'll achieve everything with almost the same efforts but ...
There are a lot of plugins available on PC that are not developped for Mac ... that's why I choose PC ...

That brings up another question I had.

What plugins do you use that aren't on the Mac, and are they worth it?

gL_spear
03-29-2002, 01:18 PM
I've used lightwave on both platforms and it seems to handle a bit better on a PC plus there's the whole plugin issue advantage on the PC other than that I wouldn't worry too much! :)

edaddy
04-05-2002, 03:39 AM
PC all the way

Eugeny
04-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Actually i big fan of Mac and unfortunately now i have PC at home. I waiting for G5 so i finnaly can keeck ass this noisy box from my hous and dont see any stupid quastion of Bill Gates on my skreen.

"the PC just seemed to flow better with the program." - becose of graphik card- Apple need to bring some killer card frome 3D lubs, even Oxigev VX 1 be much better then NVidia GForce4 MX.
"Oh, and the machines are cheaper too" - not so cheapper, if dont by the superdrive (DVD burner) u can lift around 1000 $ frome the price of dual G4.

For dukestreet: geve maximum RAM as u can (now its cheap u can by the PC 133 cheps- Mac eat this pretty well) and better graphik card ( if u dont have)
Wat u raelly miss is blue skreens, a "Billy" quastions on each install and yelow 8 bit folders(yes i know it can be changet but u need going tu the guts of windows to get kastome ikon and only if u have spetial app (some ikon maker) still its 8 bit) and the biggest thing that u miss its a Gates... oh sorry Windows
:D :D :D

Eugeny
04-06-2002, 01:02 PM
For dies-irae: www.windowblinds.com :D :D :D :D :D
Good joke man!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.