PDA

View Full Version : Using scripts to rescale your work

pixel_streamer
01-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi, I've used scripts before Painter IX to "rescale" my paintings to a higher resolution without a problem, and the bigger version always looked as good as the original.

Lately I tried with PainterIX.1, and the finished version of the painting at the bigger dimension looks nothing like the smaller one; areas of the painting were distorted and changed, like the rescaled brushes didn't have the same attributes of the original.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know what I may be doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

Mu
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
could brush spacing be the problem here?

see this explanation: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=112&t=449150

pixel_streamer
01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I think the problem lies in Painter not remembering the default version of the brushes used to paint the original.

I have a version of an eraser that I used with the image, and on playback the brush remains much larger than it should be. I even overwrote the default variant with the smaller size (the original size) and it didn't take. The eraser wants to stay 19~ units when it should be 6.5 (the size of the original variant).

In trying to make a movie from a script:
I had a problem with the movie not remembering a position of a layer when creating a smaller movie than the original. When I attempted to remake the movie (without shutting down Painter) I think it ran out of memory, because it hard-crashed my computer. (Not many programs do that anymore.)

I still have the script, if that would help anyone. But it uses my custom brushes, so it may be of no use.

This may be, though... I kept the canvas selected the entire time I was making the script.

I've been using Painter since version 3, and I know these scripts used to work! :D

Help me out anyone, please!

evanfotis
01-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Since I've been using the script function for years, and in fact little or nothing has changed / evolved since the early days on this plug-in, I would suggest the following:
Keep it simple.
No layers, opening new docs, saving etc. while recording.
Use cloning brushes carefuly and re-establish clone source quite often, before Painter reverts to default source (pattern)
Use a brush library that has been saved, do not use brushes that on the fly you have altered.
Painter is not reknown for its stability, although it has vastly improved recently.
How many times have I encountered an offseted framestack, with no reason at all... It needs patience, it has its quirks.
Depending on what your needs are, you can try ex Aura, Mirage, Combustion, or After effects. Less paintery tools, but more animatoin control. An old one Satory Paint ,had good vector painting tools.
For making amovie out of script playback, another solution is to capture the script playback using Camtasia or equivelant , in which case you can use OpenCanves (lighter on the system, good recording, playback) to paint and record/playback the session/event, and then capture with software of choise..
my $0.2

pixel_streamer
01-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Actually, the layer problem was simply placement. Although a bit annoying, that could be fixed.

The brush problem that affected the movie seems to be caching of some sort, because it is a saved variant of an eraser, and it refuses to load at the saved size when Painter loads. After the brush is reset to it's default, the size is correct (and remains that way for that session).

(I'm using Painter 9.1, it could be corrected in a later version)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2007, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.