PDA

View Full Version : Houdini renders

ssalo
02-20-2003, 07:05 AM
Hello!

I'm waiting for my new computer and I'm impatient to start learn Houdini. Meanwhile I'd like to see what Houdini's native render is capable of? Any houdini galleries/renders somewhere?

Sami

Shannon
02-20-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm hoping people will start posting some nice pics here.

However, as far as render quality goes, expect something close to prman but with faster raytracing. And in Houdini ver 6, which is comming up soon, mantra(renderer) may have some new features.:thumbsup:

I'll try to post some pics in the next day or 2.

MCronin
02-20-2003, 03:28 PM
If you haven't seen it, the movie "The Time Machine" has some excellent effects that were built and rendered in Houdini, most notably the excellent future travel sequence.

platypus
02-21-2003, 05:57 PM
movies: Cast Away, XMen, O' Brother (flood scene). lots of Digital Domain work, apparently. not sure about wether or not they use Mantra for rendering, but...

there are loads of examples out there.

odForce's gallery (http://www.odforce.net/gallery/) has some pretty cool examples as well.

betty
02-21-2003, 11:07 PM
most stuff done with mantra has been in film work which of course has so much more added to it, other than obviously composited and touched up, most shaders have been custom made. don't expect to find too much online as houdini has hardly been used outside of the professional film environment ( apprentice is changing this ). also mantra i believe to be quite young, i think it only came along in houdini v4? i could be wrong, anyway it is starting to really get a workout both in development by sidefx and in the film environment ( just been used in daredevil ).
expect a lot more coming out of mantra soon as new lighting/rendering tools are coming in the next version of houdini which is on the horizon. if you are really into shading/rendering, i think you'll be impressed with VOPs where you can graphically build shaders and other operators.
i think you'll have fun....

ssalo
02-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Hi!

Thanks for replys! I'm convinced....

vexshad
02-24-2003, 12:49 PM
>also mantra i believe to be quite young, i think it only came >along in houdini v4?

mantra exists since the "old" days of prisms :p

dantea
02-24-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe betty had actually meant vmantra.

vexshad
02-25-2003, 05:45 AM
ok, this is right.

MG
11-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello!

I'm waiting for my new computer and I'm impatient to start learn Houdini. Meanwhile I'd like to see what Houdini's native render is capable of? Any houdini galleries/renders somewhere?

Sami
You might want to see the: Side Effects Software Inc. demo reel (http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/cd2_5.5.151/pages/demo_reel/movies/HOUDINIreellarge.rm) (QuickTime version (http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/cd2_5.5.151/pages/demo_reel/movies/HOUDINIreelsmall.mov)).

kemijo
11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
All of the big launch smoke effects in Thunderbirds were rendered with Mantra and a custom vex shader.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.