PDA

View Full Version : .3ds import

xsitar
01-13-2007, 07:36 PM
in xsi6 the import 3ds seems buggy, i hope it's just on my end?

when i try to import a 3ds file a popup opens with the options and then i press "ok" and it reopens again without loading anything. this goes on forever until i press "cancel" because nothing happens (no matter if i check everything on or off).

any ideas?

xsitar
01-17-2007, 07:29 PM
sorry to "bump" this up, but does anyone else have problems with .3ds importing? i can't at all.

it stops at the first options-popup that just re-appears & re-appears no matter how often i click on "ok", still doesn't import anything...

is this a v6 issue or just (hopefully) only on my end. it's just funny that i tried it on 2 machines and both times i got the same result.

tarkovsky
01-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Same thing here...

UnlikelyInk
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm having problems in version 5.0 with 3ds. It performs very poorly, and I've tried exporting an OBJ and reimporting...still, same old same old.

It's so bad I'm switching back to Maya until I find a solution.

UnlikelyInk
01-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Ditto. I've seen the problem on XSI base too.

xsitar
01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
i hope softimage is aware of that?

seems like such bugs should appear in beta versions but not in a final release...

hope there's gonna be a fix asap.

UnlikelyInk
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Quick update on my situation...i was importing three models, two of them imported fine, the other ran like garbage. I exported the model as an obj (without materials), imported it into maya and it ran fine. The object was way too big, and looked like there were a lot of overlapping polys. I haven't tested if the actual size of the object was the problem, but I will. At least I know its an isolated object.

Has anyone else noticed that their 3ds files import and are crazy big?

CiaranM
01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Have you tried using the MAX dotXSI export to bring models into XSI?
You can find it in Softimage/Addons folder.

xsitar
01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
not sure what you mean... to export from another app with that dot.xxx plugin?

i actually try to import my existing .3ds files into xsi6 that worked super-fine with xsi5.xx

the problem is that such issues just make it difficult to completely transition to version6 and it's annoying to switch between apps always.

CiaranM
01-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Sorry, i presumed you were exporting your .3ds from Max, in which case dotXSI would work well.

UnlikelyInk
01-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I've done the DotXSI thing with Maya files, and at this point, I'm thinking that I should learn Max well enough to export DotXSI.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me on this project - XSI was the only thing I had to get the 3ds file into Maya in the first place, and exporting OBJs with materials always crashes Maya 7.

Funny side note: It may also be the file. I've had more success with other 3ds files then the first one I tried.

norvman
01-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Here's some interesting info on that...

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=28387

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2007, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.