PDA

View Full Version : Import .obj in XSI

McKertis
01-13-2007, 01:37 PM
How do i do it correctly ?
When i import my model from Silo, which consists of about 50 different objects, using .obj in XSI - XSI uses some weird method to determine the separate objects, and mows down my scene to 5 different objects. And the parts which XSI combines dont even intersect each other most of the time !

Should i import all the objects in my scene one-by-one and ? Am i missing something here ?

kawallo
01-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't know...
But, Have you tried the plugin xsilo?
You han find it here: http://animatic.no-ip.com/cgi-bin/silo-wiki/index.cgi?#siaImportExport4XSI

McKertis
01-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks alot, it works wonderfully !
However, i am still interested in the reason of my problem.

norvman
01-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Make that a second vote on wanting to know why .obj files seem to always need up missing some pieces.......

Yah I allways seem to end up breaking up the models and sending them over in smaller files...
takes a while to do that...

Any suggestions would be helpfull

LemonNado
01-14-2007, 02:13 AM
If you can, try the 4.2 importer. That is a completely different animal compared to the later versions..... Since 4.2 the .obj import is broken. 5.11 got a tad better. The .obj import is much faster now than in 4.2. But it doesn't really work. But again, it does that not working right real fast. Same for .3ds import. In V6 even the .xsi import seems to have interesting side effects. Right now I am not getting lucky with anything except with stuff created in V6.
R

norvman
01-14-2007, 03:15 PM
hummmm that does not bode well...

I just came off a software that had more things 'broken' in the upgrade than in the previous version... hope I'm not in for more of that in XSI...

TonyEdwards
01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I ran into problems with the 4.2 obj importer and importing groups as clusters and had the opposite problem. I ended up with more groups/clusters than in the original obj file. From my understanding this was due to XSI creating a new cluster rather than adding polygons to an existing cluster.

I ended up writing my own importer script. I'd post it but, among other things, I didn't need to deal with multiple objects or UVs, so it wouldn't really help you.

After playing with the V6 demo the problem I had with 4.2 seemed fixed (I think) but XSI doesn't seem to import obj files that use negative reference numbers in the polygon definitions... at least not correctly. (I don't think 4.2 did either for that matter)

While I haven't tried this option, there was a thread a while ago posting an obj importer for XSI. Given the problems I'm surprised no one replied to the thread a while ago.

The thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=24&t=421220&highlight=obj+importer

The plugin
http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

The .obj import is much faster now than in 4.2
Yes, it was incredibly fast.

LemonNado
01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Tony! I'll try that .obj importer. Right now I am using Janimatic's .sia Silo importer. The first models passed without problems and including texture assignments through his importer. The generated/imported XSI hirarchy looks clean to me. However, saving the Silo step of conversion would be nice as well. Strange that I have not seen that importer... I am constantly nagging about that. I almost feel like a wife....
Rainer

Update: HA! Works like a charm.... That should be better promoted. It's actually faster than the fast build in .obj importer... Great! .sia and .obj with textures assigned as import. Rainer -> Happy!

norvman
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
The plugin
http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

Ha... I like his comments about LW and obj. files... Ha!

:thumbsup:

norvman
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
got a noob question on this however...

the file is a .dll file... so where do I put this file to make it work with XSI?

Application\bin maybe? or someplace else...

:shrug:

LemonNado
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Not soooo noob that question...

Here I put mine:
C:\users\Rainer Schmidt\Softimage\XSI_6.0\Application\Plugins

Then in XSI simply:

File -> Plugin_Maganer -> Load

and you should see it.

Then you can find it as menu topic in the import tab.

Good luck
Rainer

PS:gwObjImp.dll in case you get confused...

norvman
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Here I put mine:
C:\users\Rainer Schmidt\Softimage\XSI_6.0\Application\Plugins

Then in XSI simply:

File -> Plugin_Maganer -> Load

and you should see it.

Then you can find it as menu topic in the import tab.

Thanks Lemonado...

I droped it into the above suggested location and found it emediately after I started up XSI in the Import area...

:applause:

janimatic
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
damn..
i was almost happy that xsi obj was broken to make my sia I|O even more usefull .
Anyway the obj file format is very limited, if you are using silo2 i guess you will enjoy preserving displacement and creasing (in addition to materials and textures).
I would like to know which software are you guys using ?
i just quickly wrote a sia importer for maya, i'll see if i can add more features preservation to make a nice stable cross format.
Also a cross platform point caching feature would be a nice addition for animation , and external sia file referencing.
My interest in sia was mainly focused on layered displacement data, but i hope it can be usefull in other contexts.

norvman
01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Well I'm trying to move some objects from Lightwave over to XSI... the Point Oven importer keeps having problems with some of my larger files... so I have gone with trying other formats like the .obj file... which seems to send the objects over in better condition but I think honestly that LW is the culpurate when it comes to most of the problems I'm having and not so much XSI or any preticular importer...

Point Oven in fact has moved most of my stuff over just fine... but there a few that I need that I am having problems with...

:banghead:

LemonNado
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
janimatic, don't worry....
Even simply using Silo and your plug seems to clean the .obj's up.
Again, great plug!
Rainer

PS:Still no PM regarding the promised PayPal 'SixPack' 8)

janimatic
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
hey lemo

Creating a paypal account looks far over my skills :eek:

TonyEdwards
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
damn..
i was almost happy that xsi obj was broken to make my sia I|O even more usefull .
:D

Sorry, but I didn't notice on the site, what is the version requirement for xsilo?

janimatic
01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
hello TonyEdwards,
xsilo works with
xsi 5 and 6 (i think cmeshbuilder/cgoemetryaccessor are not supported in 4.2)
silo 1 and 2 (but to take advantage of displacement preservation you'll need 2 of course)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.