PDA

View Full Version : problem wuth eyeballs shape

noke
01-13-2007, 07:32 AM
if my character doesn't have the normal sphere shape eyeballs ..how am i gonna work on the eyelid when it blink or when i do some facial animation or blenshape ...

for example .. in zelda the wind waker ...the main character doen't have the normal eyeball shape ... and his eyelid also not normal ....but how do we animate the eyeball and eyelid

hope my question make sense to you ...

thanks in advance

ps. forgive me for my english writting skill

PredatorGSR
01-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Well, if you don't have perfect spheres for eyeballs, it sucks to rig and animate. The current project I am working on, the modeler modeled the eyeballs like they are in real life, i.e. squashed spheres that aren't even close to being perfect spheres. So when the models were rigged, and the eyes were rotated, they poked through the side of the head. It was a big pain in the ass to fix (fortunately I didn't have to fix it, but I got to listen to the riggers complaining :P). I think they either deleted the eyes out and created spherical ones, or just kept messing with them until they didn't poke though.

Either way, if you have a choice, save yourself the trouble and model spherical eyes.

How different are we talking here though? Pretty much any character I can think of you would be able to get away with spherical eyes.

ManDay
01-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Predator: Why didn't they use some sort of mathematical expression? Wouldn't it be easy to determinate the squash of the eyeball/the visibility of certain faces by calculating on base of the current rotation of the eyeball?

A further, more general advice/question:
Why don't you just simply animate the mapping of the texture instead of rotating the actual eyeball?

Topic:
I've never rigged a character in Maya but last time I had a short look at the animation modifers and there is a deformer called ... let me see ... 'Wire Deformers' (I saw it on some pictures of rigged characters already and it looks REALLY useful).
Wouldn't it be possible to assign/lock (whatever you do with it ;) ) such a deformer to the eyelid and then 'map' the CVs of the deformer to further curves which run down the shape of the eyeball in the direction in which the eyelid closes? (In Max I d have done this - assuming such a great 'Wire-Deformer' existed - with a path-contraint. I think there is a comparable thing in Maya too). Could that help?

---err... how did I get to think you are working with Maya... ? Do you?

newellteapot
01-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi! what kind of shape are you talking about?

I'm sure there must be a workaorund, but I would try and post your question in the animators/riggers forums, they could help you better ;)

PredatorGSR
01-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Not sure what they ended up doing.

I had to create hundreds of blendshapes for the project, and the wire tool is invaluable. There isn't much point to doing the method you described if you are using blendshapes. You use the wire tool to create the shape, then just use that as a blendshape. It isn't a bad idea however, we ended up using a mass of wires to control subtle hair (polygons) movement like that, it was a quick way to get movement without using soft bodyies.

Predator: Why didn't they use some sort of mathematical expression? Wouldn't it be easy to determinate the squash of the eyeball/the visibility of certain faces by calculating on base of the current rotation of the eyeball?

A further, more general advice/question:
Why don't you just simply animate the mapping of the texture instead of rotating the actual eyeball?

Topic:
I've never rigged a character in Maya but last time I had a short look at the animation modifers and there is a deformer called ... let me see ... 'Wire Deformers' (I saw it on some pictures of rigged characters already and it looks REALLY useful).
Wouldn't it be possible to assign/lock (whatever you do with it ;) ) such a deformer to the eyelid and then 'map' the CVs of the deformer to further curves which run down the shape of the eyeball in the direction in which the eyelid closes? (In Max I d have done this - assuming such a great 'Wire-Deformer' existed - with a path-contraint. I think there is a comparable thing in Maya too). Could that help?

---err... how did I get to think you are working with Maya... ? Do you?

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2007, 04:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.