PDA

View Full Version : Truckstop Bathroom

Flewda
01-12-2007, 08:30 PM
First time posting any work here. It's definitely a WIP. I'd say only about 25-30%. Going to be grunging the hell out of it, litter/grafitti all over. More cracks/dirt/grime. Etc. etc. My biggest reason for posting right now is lighting. I really wanted to establish a nice mood through the lighting before I continue the scene much further. And to be honest, I am not very familiar with lighting. I've been reading some books that have been helpful understanding theories of real world lighting (which has helped tremendously) but achieving the same look in Max has been a bit difficult. Anyway for these shots it's just using 2 omnis with Global Illumination (Mental Ray). It was the easiest way to show the type of mood I am going for. Very grungy/nasty looking, uninviting, a place that someone would walk into, take one glance, and run out. So any critiquing you guys might have (Model, Texture, Lighting, ideas, etc.) feel free to tear it apart. I feel that I am falling behind in my art, texturing especially, so I am really trying to get back into it! And if you have any suggestions for alternate lighting ideas, I'm definitely all ears! :)

http://www.3dpowers.net/temp/truckstop_restroom1.jpg
http://www.3dpowers.net/temp/truckstop_restroom2.jpg

requiem2d
01-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Some smart wear & tear in there, overall ambience is also nice. Ghostbusters logo kind of takes away from the serious feel though. Keep it up :)

Flewda
01-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah, the logo is definitely going away...A lot of changes will happen soon.

bryann
01-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Other than the logo, the only thing that bothers me a little bit is the very noticeable repetition of the blood in the sinks, especially since you've differentiated the mirrors (or lack of) over each so well. Maybe instantiate 3 of them and export them as one model, rotating the blood spatter inside the sink a little bit for each? Otherwise it looks great. I wouldn't want to spend very long in there.

Generalvivi
01-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I am just throwing this in as a request but , you could probly put a normal map on the ceiling to make the separators stand out more.

-vivi

Flewda
01-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Some updates coming tomorrow :) it's coming along. Have made a lot of changes to it. Lighting direction has changed a bit too. No longer using GI, two key lights and lots of fill lights.

Bryann - a lot of people have been calling it blood, it's actually a horrible rust stain :-P but that was an old sink. It's in the process of being redone now. I'm going to try to make everything I can as unique looking as I can. Hard to do with props, but I'll probably go a little crazier than I would within a real game engine (i.e. give each sink a unique map, or at least a unique decal map). Hopefully that will break up the repetition of the sinks...Also going to be redoing the mirrors...

Thanks for the comments.

Flewda
05-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Yeah, it's funny how tomorrow can turn into three months later. :) anyway, here's the latest. I'm calling it done for now because I want to move onto other things, but I think it's at a good stopping point for me. Still seems a little empty, but I didn't want it to be overly complicated inside. Critiques are still desired however.

http://www.3dpowers.net/images/3d/bathroom_1.jpg

http://www.3dpowers.net/images/3d/bathroom_2.jpg

http://www.3dpowers.net/images/3d/bathroom_3.jpg

LaughingBun
05-23-2007, 03:06 AM
I think it looks really good. I think your problem with the room looking a little empty has to do more with the size and preportions of all the objects. Next time your in a bathroom like that, try and take note of how compact everything is and how much open space there actually is. I think you may want to raise the sinks a little or resize the trashcan maybe. just play with things like that because I think You have PLENTY of clutter and detail, probably too much honestly.

I do feel its a fine stopping point though because what you have is really great. The only Asset that really bothers me is the mop, i would either redo it or just get rid of it. it doesnt feel as real as the other objects.

ashe
05-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Awesome bathroom! Very creepy reminds me of a Silent Hill type setting.

softdistortion
05-23-2007, 04:43 AM
Very nice texture work. :thumbsup:

I agree about the sinks and the garbage can. Sinks are too low- looks about 2' judging by the building blocks which I think are around 8" each...that would also put the garbage can at 2" tall and that is too small.

The mop is not as good and stands out. also the hand towel is too flat.

Nothing to be discouraged about though, as it looks great other than a few easy to fix items.

ts-falcon
05-23-2007, 05:30 AM
nice texture work mate. Just be careful not to over do the grunge look, Think about it and when was the last time you saw something any more dirty than it is already? too much can take away. right now its loking pretty hot and im loving the cracked mirror :D cant wait to see more.

Gamedev
05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey Flewda,

you have lots of great elements going on here. Some great colors, nice wear and the beginnings of nice lighting.

A few things that stick out are the bathroom stall. The color just doesnt go w/ the rest of the scene. I'd desautrate it a bit, add some more detail and really sell it. As for the bathroom fixtures, they look good but all look strangly out of proportion and not just uniformily (too big, too small). The sinks look too wide and the urinals too short.

Take a look at the rest of the stuff below:
http://www.tylerwanlass.com/beta/images/cgtalk/truckstop.jpg

Keep it going.

euclidius
05-23-2007, 08:13 AM
I think it looks great- you are progressing really well in each update - what was your total time you've spend on this project? just asking- :scream:

Spex84
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
I second gamedev's critique...good job pointing out the plastic pipes. I had the same thought...those would last for about 2 days in a real-world truckstop bathroom :P

Just thought I would point out another proportional note: the ceiling tiles seem very large. I thought the fallen one was a door! About 3/4 to 1/2 of the size would help the scale of the room read more clearly.
Finally, if you want to be picky :D Most cheap ceiling tiles are gyprock foam/paper, and shatter into roughly 1" long chunks when they hit the floor, spraying white dust everywhere. Pain to clean up...

Flewda
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Gamedev - I agree the stalls are a bit too orange, should be a bit desaturated. As for the spec on the tile separators. The spec is actually significantly different, but the lighting wasn't hitting the ceiling at the best angle the camera shots were taken (so they are not showing too well). The grafitti - some is supposed to look fresh and new (which is why some of it is pretty saturated). I agree about the fixtures being kinda improperly sized. That's something I get carried away with most of the time and then realize the scale doesn't seem appropriate :) The mop is quite low res, I need to add a bit more geometry to it (possibly some rogue strands done by alpha mapping). Metal pipes were thought of, but I wanted this place to feel as cheap as possible. I wanted it to feel like it was cheap from the get go, and even after things started to break, it was never repaired (or repaired poorly). But a good point none the less.

As for the size of the ceiling tiles, I just installed a crap load of them at my house a few weeks ago :-P I seem to know them very well now ;) anyway, I actually built those to scale (2X4 feet). I think just the way everything else is scaled in the scene (either too big or too small) kinda throws you off with seeing the ceiling tile. Also, I just checked, the ceiling tile on the floor is the exact same dimensions that the tiles themself up above are, it's hard to believe, but I think that angle is just harsh and makes the one on the floor look way bigger. As LaughingBun said, the room feels empty because it seems too big. I think it's not that the room or tile are too big, but the rest of the props filling it up are quite small.

Thanks for all the great feedback! After reading these comments, I may revisit the scene one last time before I call it "finished" for good :)

Josh

skullhozer
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Incredible textures, good job! It's also getting better and better with each new render.

rosch
05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah! Looks really beautiful :)

You could add some used syringes on the ground ... to make it look even more dirty

Marcel
05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments.
but I think that angle is just harsh and makes the one on the floor look way bigger. As LaughingBun said, the room feels empty because it seems too big. I think it's not that the room or tile are too big, but the rest of the props filling it up are quite small.
Josh

The room should be slightly bigger than in reallife, otherwise the space would seem cramped ingame.

You can never have the same field of view as the human eye (close 180 degrees?) because it would be too extreme. Consequently the smaller field of view ingame makes indoor spaces seem cramped. The solution is to model everything slightly bigger.

I haven't thought this up myself, it was mentioned in an developer interview for the game 'Max Payne' If I remeber correctly they modelled everything at 130% scale for that game.

Flewda
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I actually do that when I am working on stuff at work, and I guess it carries over with me when working on stuff at home (beauty renders don't need to worry about gameplay and camera issues :-p )

Thanks for the comments!

mindrot
05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Lokking great so far.

Just as a thought: have you seen Candyman the film? There is a super grungy, stinky-ass public toilet in there if I'm not mistaken.

~M~

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.