PDA

View Full Version : uvw mapping a bent tube

DingBat99999
01-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi,

What's the best way to map a bent tube? Or even a torus, for that matter.

Let's say I'm working on a basketball net and the post is a tube that bends near the top in a 90 degree angle. Let's say I wanted to map and unwrap it in order to paint a texture for it. Can someone suggest the best way to attack that?

Thanks in advance,
/bruce

JYoung
01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
You could unwrap the straight cylinder, use some sort of bend modifier/deformer, and then tweak the already laid out UVs by hand or relax tools.

PredatorGSR
01-21-2007, 05:00 AM
In maya, what I would probably do is uv map the straight part of the cylinder using the cylindrical map, then do the same to the bent part. The bent part will be off, but if you run Unfold with the iterations set to 500 it may unfold it well. Then I would combine the straight and bent part back together.

Depending on how well the unfold works you may be able to just run a cylindrical map on the whole piece then put an unfold on it to fix the distortion. Then do planar maps on the caps on each end.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.