PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Lightwave Artist? Ever?

V_Shane
02-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Just curious, I am totaly new to the field. And outside of a couple previous clients wanting LW models of my designs (I am a 2D illustrator for them) I have noticed nigh of head nor hair of Lightwave inquieries on really any 3D site that hosts "job boards".

Is this a rare thing? What is the primary target clientele?

Games? Movies? Commercials? EFX?

Not trying to create anykind of intrerigating wave, I just want to see if I am further niching myself (SF/F RPG artist by trade as it is).

Comments?

Much appreciated :wavey:

timsvw
02-20-2003, 02:13 AM
You are better off knowing more than one progam. I learned maya first and now where I work all I use is lightwave. I think you should learn one package as your core package and then still know how to use some of the other major packages.

-tim

kretin
02-20-2003, 02:36 AM
There's a decent amount of Lightwave work around. Less freelance than in-house, but still enough to keep lots of us busy.

Flay is a great place to look for LW contracts or positions. You won't find much on most job boards though.

policarpo
02-20-2003, 03:50 AM
knowledge and skill is the hard part in all endeavors...software is easy.:buttrock:

V_Shane
02-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Flay is a great place to look for LW contracts or positions.

I went and was amazed at the initial posts. There were 3 right on the front page. Thanks for the link!

And certainly knowledge & skill is a main component, program does not an artist make. I certainly have seen some of the results in the 2D digital realm (say you got an extra Lense Flare?) heh, anyway I certainly understand where your coming from. I was a traditional oil painter for 12 years before I went completely digital.

I even worked with Deep 3D for a year, kept crashing the computer (only ahd 128 MB of Ram then, over a gig now).

So I am very grateful for the responses and the help/insights, and I certainly hope to post a model attempt in about a month (?)

Thanks all

Shane

proton
02-20-2003, 02:05 PM
When I was out in California and New York recently alot of LightWave houses were looking for artists and animators.....Should be a good year for LW artists.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.