PDA

View Full Version : Break Dance! WIP

lyzarts
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks to everyone who has thusfar replied with their comments. I really do appreciate them.

I'm trying to challenge myself to get better at 3D animation. I have an 11 second WIP exercise.

The Latest Version (http://www.lyzarts.com/misc/BreakDance.mov)

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks much!

lyz

Geese Howard
01-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi, i think that's a good start, it's definitely gonna be a challenge.
1st off, i think you got the main pose keyframes on track. You do need lots of work on the inbetweens and i guess playing with the curves as it seems there's no speed in/speed out from the key poses. Also, leave the camera still for now, it's giving the dance a serious "floating" kinda feel to it, seems like he has not much impact/weight on the ground. When u finish polishing the keys, then add in the camera moves for dramatics.

My opinion anyways :) Have fun!

lyzarts
01-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your crit. I'll keep the camera stationary while I work on it. I seem to have trouble controlling the inbetween frames, i.e. I rotate a wrist and in the very next frame its off its axis doing something weird. If I could find a way to keep the frames from going off in wrong directions, it would make it much easier to handle. Perhaps working the curves will help alleviate this, I'm not sure.

lyz

littlepixel
01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
you really gotta have the right kind of rig for this type of animation. Are you using ik/fk? or FBIK? I think the idea in this type of animation is to be able to show good weight and to be able to root certain parts of the body down like the wrists while rotating the body around various axes.

lyzarts
01-13-2007, 07:46 PM
The rig I use is from Peter Starostin's website (http://www.3dluvr.com/clisk3d/index.html). It is an IK/FK rig. I am not sure the type of rig I would need for this type of animation. You are correct that it needs to show the right kind of weight and require arms and wrists to be stationary to get the right axes. As of now, however, the inbetween frames are becoming a nightmare.

lyz

lyzarts
01-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Hello,

I've worked on it a bit more. The inbetween frames are still proving a nuisance, but I think overall this one is better than the last.

Break Dance v.2 (http://www.lyzarts.com/misc/BD3.mov)

I would appreciate any comments on it, thanks.

lyz

anthonymcgrath
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
this is looking good but that camera angle doesn't do it any justice lol - I think some of the motions need to be much faster like the pop off the arms when he lands on the floor and the 6step thingy he does on the floor too midway - good work though and not an easy animation to do at all so keep knuckling on... :)

KenSaba
01-17-2007, 05:45 AM
I agree, itīs not easy movements, and to find better cam angle. Stop moving lights, it doesnīt helping you. Much better than the 1st version, keep going.

lyzarts
01-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I agree, itīs not easy movements, and to find better cam angle. Stop moving lights, it doesnīt helping you. Much better than the 1st version, keep going.

Thanks, I'm going to go through many versions before this is done. :)

Geese Howard
01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey man,

good job, improvements are coming in by the bushel, hahaha. But seriously, you've gotten rid of alot of the floatiness, still some there but i'm sure u'll track it down in due time.

What i'm most happy to see is the speed in/speed out of the moves now, especially the heavy BBoy power moves. One thing i think u should change is when he hops up to do the handclap after the Worm... make the hop a little faster cause it's still very floaty there.

Keep it up homeboy :)

lyzarts
01-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks, good to know I'm improving. :) I'm going to take a break from this exercise for a bit, but will come back to it later to improve it more. I've got a walkcyle to do.

lyzarts
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Bump...

(Getting the thread to the top, yet message board won't let me post under 10 characters)

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.