PDA

View Full Version : about combustion cache size..

arman
02-19-2003, 11:36 PM
why combustion can use only 1,7 GB of ram at %100 cache size. ( I Have a 4 Gb ram... )

is it a shipping strategy or what ?

Chris
02-20-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the OS limitation is 2GB for any 1 application. It beats me why you dont get the use of the full 2 gig tho...

1armedScissor
02-20-2003, 01:27 AM
you are correct that 2g is the os limit, and I'm pretty sure that the reason combustion doesn't use 100% of your RAM when you set your cache to 100% is because this is a "safety" feature so to speak. (actually I think that after effects craps out at 1.5 gigs) Your computer has to be able to have access to some Ram to perform other functions that are running in the background, and for other things like having multiple applications running at the same time.

Chris
02-20-2003, 01:58 AM
You'd think the OS & stuff could use the other 2gigs though... not smart enough i guess

Originally posted by ooga booga
actually I think that after effects craps out at 1.5 gigs

Yea - Go Combusion :buttrock: :drumrock: :xtreme: :airguitar :xtreme:

arman
02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
alright buddies,

is there anybody knows that, how much processors combustion can handle ? is there a count limit ? otherwise I'm starting to think buy a server with 8 processors and run combustion on it. whoknows, maybe it's catch octane(sgi) performance ?:rolleyes:

1armedScissor
02-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Arman: I don't know that combustion will run on a server per se, but you could network it with your current computer and use Backburner (which ships with Combustion) and do some pretty speedy network rendering. Try posting this question at the discreet web board and you'll find out for sure what the answer is.

GrantKay
02-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi,

combustion is multi-threaded for 2 processors.

I am not a programmer but I would think you would have to write it into the programme to take advantage of more then 2 processors if available.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.