PDA

View Full Version : New features in Houdini 6

Shannon
02-20-2003, 12:35 AM
Well, so far I've got one conformation on radiosity tools.
I've got no specifics on that one. Anyone else?

MCronin
02-20-2003, 04:31 PM
I know nothing about it. In fact the news of the Beta took me completely by suprise, and I just about had a heart attack when I read that they expected to ship in April. I really can't wait to see what's new in Houdini 6.

betty
02-21-2003, 01:03 AM
i doubt any features will be revealed as is common in these situations. and i wouldn't expect it to be released in april. didn't they say something similar for v5.5 and i don't know if it is actually out yet. i mean did they announce if it has been released. i would be amazed if the same level of progress will be in v6 as what we saw in v5.5 but i hope so. i have a feeling it will be more of cleaning up the 5.5 but i hope it's that and much more!! can't wait, and the rendering/lighting tools sound promising...

"..., in Houdini 6, you can now make _any_ point a light simply by
adding the appropriate attribute... and it can be easily stamped so each
light is unique..." peter bowmar

Shannon
02-21-2003, 03:02 AM
Yea, I saw that too. Sounds promising. Personally, I'm hoping for a few more poly modeling tools. Not that I'm unhappy with them as they are. But you all know what I mean.

matsbt
02-22-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm going to start beta-testing v6 in April. I can post my thoughts here in this forum if anyone is interested.

SheepFactory
02-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Please do ,

I cant wait to see what new features are in v6.

Ali

MCronin
02-22-2003, 09:47 PM
According to the timetable posted by SESI, there will be a general public beta in March, and the software will ship in April. The closed beta is going on now and ends later this week.

we are inviting
you to become beta testers for Houdini 6 beginning now. General
public beta testing will begin in March.

three phases of our beta program:
Initial Acceptance Test February 10-28
Final Acceptance Test March 3-14
First Customer Ship April 2003

I don't know if the final acceptance is public, but even if it isn't, Houdini 6 could be available for public download in as little as three weeks. I'd like to hear people's impressions, but by April everyone should be able to get it and see for themselves I would think.:thumbsup:

Shannon
02-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Me very very excited!:thumbsup:

matsbt
02-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by matsbt
I'm going to start beta-testing v6 in April. I can post my thoughts here in this forum if anyone is interested.

My mistake, I start beta-testing on March 3rd.

Shannon
02-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok, youre our point man then. Your gonna need to report back on all the new features and your opinions.:D

Emrys
02-24-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm in the private beta now, but I think I'll wait until the public one before posting any comments :).

But I can say that its pretty cool. While there aren't alot of cool new features, theres definitely been some underlying technology shifts which are pretty cool for the TD's of the world.

oh, and the GI definitely makes up for everything.... yumm.... .

:)

Emrys

Shannon
02-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Of course, as soon as its public.
We dont want you breaking any NDA's.
But when you can, let us know.

DaJuice
02-25-2003, 01:19 AM
It has GI now? Sweet.
Can you expound on how it's implemented? Monte Carlo, or photon maps, or something else?

ambient-whisper
03-04-2003, 06:39 AM
i really hope they added things like a nice working bevel..
also would be nice if they improved viewport speed a little ( even with smooth lines off, heavy wireframes bog down quite a bit. )
and i hope they fix the handles ive noticed times when i was using a global handle, after a number of extrusions the handles would no longer be aligned with the polygons properly, and kinda went whack.:/

oo and stability. seems like houdini has been getting much less stable over the years..kinda sad because it used to be quite solid a few years ago.

Shannon
03-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Well you'd think they would catch on to that by now. I believe enough people have explained the various reasons for needing a bevel op. If they dont add one, its tough for the hard surface modelers as well as the organic modelers.

Martin, why in the world would you want to parcate your polys?
And is that a "Clay" thing?

jasoniversen
03-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by DaJuice
It has GI now? Sweet.
Can you expound on how it's implemented? Monte Carlo, or photon maps, or something else?

Both! With some neat ways of examining the irradiance caches and photon maps too. I put a couple of images here on odforce (http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=725&st=10)

I posted a list of general improvements in this thread:

Over here in this CG Talk thread.. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49125)

ambient-whisper
03-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Shannon
Well you'd think they would catch on to that by now. I believe enough people have explained the various reasons for needing a bevel op. If they dont add one, its tough for the hard surface modelers as well as the organic modelers.

Martin, why in the world would you want to parcate your polys?
And is that a "Clay" thing?

you dont want to paracate polys. :)
and clay is.. www.rocket3d.com

looks like there is still no way to bevel in houdini..grr...

but atleast the interface is a lot more stable now. doesnt seem to jump whenever you select a new point and more it during the edit sop.

jasoniversen
03-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Still no direct Bevel operation, no.. They have explained to me that simple bevels can easily be achieved by selecting edges and using the Starburst SOP and then peaking the points. It's underpowered, but it's there. There were very few direct modeling enhancements, but now you render your stuff with some lovely GI at least :bounce:

As for the interface jumping about, they have improved the code that handled the context switches a lot. I hardly noticed the "bad" way because stuff like that is always so dependant on your gfx card and driver and it just happened quickly on mine. But it's still a lot faster in all cases now..

ambient-whisper
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
just tried the starburst/peak. it does kinda bevel. but not in the way i want. my main concern is doing stuff like this.

http://ambient-whisper.cgcommunity.com/images_dump/Mirai-bevel-Divx-4.avi

Shannon
03-13-2003, 06:39 PM
See thats how many people use bevel. But I believe that SESI thinks bevel is only for "rounding" edges and such.
You should send their product rep that little "bevel" movie.:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.