PDA

View Full Version : Creating the Phantom Mask... Not even sure where to start.

offtone
01-11-2007, 10:56 PM
So I'm doing a web site for a theatre school and figured I'd model the phantom mask for some moody "photos". I've very little experience with this stuff, yet still thought it was simple enough that I could pull it off in a couple hours.

Definitely wrong. It's been two hours and I've created three splines... One for the outline of the mask, and one for each eyehole in the mask. For some reason I figured I could follow the "creating a knight" tutorial (using MAX) and have this done in much the same way, but I realize now that three splines is very different than one. Heh. I can't draw lines from the eyes to the edge of the mask and then just apply the surface modifier and go from there.

So... What's the best way to start this? Is this really that far over a beginner's head to even think about trying?

Thanks for any tips.

locke2121
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I've always found it hard to do organic modeling, though mechanical is within my reach. Why not find a resource model you can twist and sculpt to your liking? I think there was a Project Human...or Zygote, or something that created an open-sourced male and female set of models. You could find those and play with them, and maybe along the way you will figure out how to create your own.

offtone
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Could probably get a decent mask by hacking away at any model with a human face.

Thanks. Will try to find a free human to disect... Heh.

JYoung
01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I hacked a model I already had if you want to take a look at it. Feel free to do what you want with it. I already beveled the edges so you can just smooth it. Obviously it's up to you how to model something, but you might try poly modeling instead of splines/nurbs. Plenty of tutorials out there for poly modeling a face, and it shouldn't take much work to modify it into a mask.

offtone
01-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Nice. Thanks, Yungimoto. I had one in the works that was a top-of-the-face version of the mask (rather than the right-side mask) but I like yours better. Heh. Mine's pretty much paper-thin though, and the beveled edge of yours makes a huge difference. There a quick way to do that? Would come in handy in the future. I've also modelled a music stand with some sheets of music on it that could use some beveling to make it look a little more realistic.

Thanks again for the mask model. Very much appreciated.

JYoung
01-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I selected all the faces and did an extrude to get the thickness. You can then select one of the edges you wish to bevel and hit the "loop" button under selection in editable poly. That should select the entire(or most of) edge that you can bevel(or chamfer in 3dsmax). The bevel/chamfer causes a nice crease when applying a smooth.

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2007, 05:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.