PDA

View Full Version : Reflection, Refraction and Raytracing

dickma
01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys, I used an hour or more to get only a small portions of this render. And I am a bit worry about what I've do in texturing because it is too slow for me to do adjusting work in the render region.

Well I don't know if I set it wrong for the modeling. Is it something special if I do modeling glass with liquid like this one? (I only use one layer instead of two-flipping layers like LW in the glass object, the liquid layer is devived from the inner glass with a very little scaling) Standard Refraction index used, a little thing about the glass is that it's reflection is plugged with incidence.

Is the above modeling method right for glass with liquid?
What can I do for faster adjustment for doing glass?
Any suggestion or clues that can enhance the feeling of glass, plastic and liquid?
and also, is there a refraction index for plastic?

bravmm
01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
First of all, rendering that piece in an hour there's something really wrong with your settings. There's probably something set way too high. Refraction value for the bag including the liquid should be 6 (glass in/out - liquid in/out - glass in/out). Maximum of reflection/reflection should be the two added together.

I don't quite understand your modeling steps, but you should model it as real life, the bag should be hollow and have a separate liquid model inside. The geometry of both models shouldn't be overlapping due to raytracing errors. easiest way it so model it make both objects and do a boolean, or model it hollow from the start.

For refraction indexes there's google :D but.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_refraction
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/Gen3DTuts/Gen3DPages/RefractionIndexList.html

hope this helps,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.