PDA

View Full Version : How do you use FP in your work?

plotz
02-19-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm curious how people are using the floating point capabilities of the LW renderer in their daily work.

I've messed around with some of the HDRI exposure stuff, but I'm sure there's more there than meets the eye:)

aurora
02-19-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I almost always set it up to use floating point math when I get the option. It provides a better precision on calcs. However it can be a nightmare sometimes to us programmers especially when 0 is not always equal to 0 thanks to the way floating point math is handled at compile time.

Arte
02-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by plotz
I'm curious how people are using the floating point capabilities of the LW renderer in their daily work.

I've messed around with some of the HDRI exposure stuff, but I'm sure there's more there than meets the eye:)

Applications like Fusion read HDR formats as well as LW buffers. My latest shot is being rendered with Fusion tweaking in mind.

The renders will also help Fusion blend a chroma keyed girl I have in one shot.

X

minus
02-20-2003, 05:54 AM
I use it to turn this:
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/radtest/stagger_rad_noFP640.jpg
Into This:
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/radtest/stagger_rad640.jpg
I think it's one of Lightwaves greatest features!

Mike RB
02-20-2003, 06:24 AM
HDR expose is a great filter. One of the best ways to use it is to render to an FP file format, then run the sequenced images back through LW as a background in a clean scene and re-render them using the expose filter to get what you want, saving the 2nd pass as .tga. That way you can always go back and reexpose your FP files differently if you need to.

Mike

Psyhke
02-20-2003, 07:00 AM
Which formats are FP formats? Cineon, Radiance, and LogLuv? If these are the choices, anyone have recommendations on which one to use? All the same? Can I write a sentence that's not a question? Who knows?

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-20-2003, 10:27 AM
erm, so, does FP stand for 'Full Precision' AND 'Floating Point' all at the same time? or am i doing a Homer? :surprised

Jonathan
02-20-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm in love with FP. That's a good example posted in the image above. I use it to make my darks darker and my lights lighter also. It is a dream and takes a great deal less time than radiosity which I use only in the most extreme situations.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-20-2003, 11:00 AM
I love it too! but in a friendly way...nothing more...we're just friends... :D

minus
02-22-2003, 11:55 PM
That's a pretty cool trick MikeRB :)
When will we have a tool that can read HDR Sequences and output em too a movie... all the while being able to change the exposure settings? -- Hmm does such a thing exist already?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.