PDA

View Full Version : stupid modeling question

billrobertson42
01-11-2007, 06:25 AM
I duplicated some objects, and I want to connect them together.

How do I do this? According to the documentation, it looks like the blend tool should do the job, but it seems to want to connect everything but the two closest edges. It does this even when I set the tolerance down to the lowest number that has any effect.

How do I do this?

SheepFactory
01-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Attach the two objects together (create>polymesh>merge) and bridge whatever part you want to connect together.

billrobertson42
01-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the help. However, when I try a merge with blend option, I get geometry similar to the picture I showed last night.

If I try a merge without the bridge I still get weird geometry. Screenshot is attached. It seems like duplicate objects are copied in place.

I have also attached the scene if somebody wants to look.

Thanks

balzaK
01-12-2007, 06:43 AM
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do but I will attempt to make a helpful suggestion.

Have you tried other means to connect the objects? Such as welding points, or creating polygons?

billrobertson42
01-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm trying to join the two objects, and then create a single polygon between them.

If I were using silo I would merge the objects, then select the four points, and hit the 'p' key and be done.

I have tried the polygon drawing tool, but it only wants to snap to one of the objects. It also brought up some weird dialog box about winding and CCW or something.

The blend documentation says that it will only connect edges within the specified tolerance, but that doesn't seem to be true.

This can't be that hard, so I'm obviously missing something.

*edit*

Ok. So I merged the objects without the blend (or bridge or whatever). Then I had to freeze the merge meshes on the operator stack and then I could delete the original input meshes and I can use Weld Boundary Points/Edges to stitch the two parts of the new object together.

The only downside of this is that two upward extrusions on the new object aren't associated with the curves (which are still there). I guess I can re associate them with with deform by curve?

janimatic
01-12-2007, 07:36 AM
hey Bill,
unless i don't understand your prob, it's really not complicate.
- select the 2 objects
- create>polymesh> Merge the objects (don't blend)
- select 2 faces
- modify>polymesh>bridge
done
or use xsi|o ....

dwigfor
01-12-2007, 07:59 AM
I think the solution to your problem is adjusting the tolerance slider to 0 in the merge ppg. Also, you probably want to merge your materials over too, so in the future, after you've textured your object, hit the Material button to get it to merge the materials over as well. Then hit the delete button at the top of the ppg to delete the inputs.

billrobertson42
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I had not seen the delete button. That certainly makes it more convenient.

I was definitely confused by the creation of the new objects (rather than modification of the existing).

Thanks

grahamef
01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I think the reason you are having problems with the blend option in the merge is related to the message about clockwise versus counter-clockwise polys that you got when you tried to draw the bridging poly manually.

XSI considers the direction that polys are facing when bridging/blending.

If you activate the display of normals from the eye icon, you can see which way polys are facing.

You may need to invert one of the two halves to get it to work (Modify > Poly Mesh > Invert Polygons).

misterdi
01-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Ok. So I merged the objects without the blend (or bridge or whatever). Then I had to freeze the merge meshes on the operator stack and then I could delete the original input meshes and I can use Weld Boundary Points/Edges to stitch the two parts of the new object together.

The only downside of this is that two upward extrusions on the new object aren't associated with the curves (which are still there). I guess I can re associate them with with deform by curve?

Since you freeze the history it will lost all information on the lower stack.
Have you tried to use hide instead of delete on input stack of the merge?

Regards,

billrobertson42
01-13-2007, 11:54 PM
I will keep that in mind as an option. I think the way to go in this case is to do all of the duplicating and setup and then do the extrusions later.

Thanks!

dwigfor
01-14-2007, 05:13 AM
One thing to watch out for.. If you choose to Hide, YOU WILL NEED TO FREEZE YOUR OBJECT BEFORE DELETING THE INPUTS. Otherwise, if you delete the input, it will also delete your merged polymesh...... So be warned! :eek:

I wish it could bridge between merged objects, rather than blending.. I guess it's the way I model, but I also drag that slider to 0......

billrobertson42
01-24-2007, 04:13 AM
Ok, what's the fast way to fill this hole? In silo for instance, I can select an edge (like the red one on the bottom) and use the fill hole command and it will create the polygons to close the gap.

Thanks!

norvman
01-24-2007, 02:57 PM
what's the fast way to fill this hole?

I would go into edge mode.. the "I" key select two edges and then bridge... may not be the fastest way but it's one way... plus when you do it that way your pretty much gauranteed to not get any Boundaries left over...

Select edges accross from one other over the hole and you get a quad...
Select edges adjacent to one another and you complete a Triangle...
it makes for very fast work and you still contain some modeling control...

billrobertson42
04-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Ok, here's another stupid question.

I'm trying to add edges to this mesh with the knife tool. I hit the / key, and then attempt to add some vertices/edges. It won't let me add points, and I get a message saying "command cancelled" (see attachment)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sbowling
04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Ok, here's another stupid question.

I'm trying to add edges to this mesh with the knife tool. I hit the / key, and then attempt to add some vertices/edges. It won't let me add points, and I get a message saying "command cancelled" (see attachment)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Try using the \ key. It works much better. :D

billrobertson42
04-08-2007, 12:06 AM
That's what I get for using new software at 3:00 am. :)

Thanks.

billrobertson42
04-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Next up...

I am trying to model something with the symmetry mode described here (http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Symmetrical_Modeling_Setup), and that works fine, but the question that I have is when I turn on shaded mode and I have the clone subdivided (that is neat by the way), what is the best way from keeping the clone from occluding the points/edges of the original half object?

See the attachment for an example of what I mean, and please ignore the hole, I figured out how to keep the open edges constrained to the x-axis with they sym button.

*edit* I just figured out how to make the thing semi-transparent, which seems to work just fine. If there is a "better" way though, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2007, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.