PDA

View Full Version : Animation Challenge #5, Topic Suggestion and Vote 1/10/06

dudeacle
01-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Please post new topic ideas and vote for this Challenge Topic.

Here's what's been suggested so far.
Unused/New/Done

Loses at roulette
Exercise gone wrong
Chef cooks bad meat.
gets stomped or shot in the foot
sees attractive person, does a double take
given bouquet of flowers
their baby stroller rolls away too quickly to chase
clothes are torn off (like in cartoons, they have to cover themselves in that funny pose)
a guy loses a very important object
enjoying art
talking to the plants
giving orders
teaching
shopping
Ride (i,e, theme park... or anything for that matter..)
Emotion change ( change from one dramatic emotion to another)
Martial arts
gymnastics
peer pressure
classic lift
a moving walk, with a twist (i.e. not a cycle)
animate to a sound effects file (like gunfire or something)
russian roulette
waking up and walking outside naked
rooftop jumping/chase
Hot coffee (or tea if you prefer) gets spilled on the character.
Animate to your favorite movie line (10 Second Club where are you!?!)
Getting hit by a projectile like a ball or a bullet.
Making a difficult phone call.
Emotional or awkward stillness (just saw your pet get run over or walked into something embarrassing)
Change into a super hero out fit (think superman in phone booth)
Has rabies
Perform an athletic event
Nonhuman action (alien or monster performs an action)
A character shows affection to another character
Hiding from an oncoming threat
Finding the Master Sword
Solo SWAT action
Spying on an unsuspecting person
Idling
Animate to a song
Super Villian planning another nefarious scheme
Trying to cross a _very_ busy street
Annoying the still-as-a-rock Guard on duty
Pass the ball. (A ball comes in screen left, character plays around with it, then tosses it screen right. When you string all of the animations together it should look interesting)
Heres music and dances against own will
Talks to baby and gets distracted and yells

mandeep
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
hey that's an awsome list man ....... annoying rock still guard nd loosing something imp wats say !!!

musashidan
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow,plenty to choose from there!!I like the "guy loses something important" plenty of scope for the range of emotions.:)

OneSharpMarble
01-12-2007, 08:02 AM
I would like to get in this time around, I think the best way to go now that 10secondclub is gone is the movie sound clip. More freedom that way and sound always helps a scene.

mandeep
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
hey i agree i miss 10 sec club thing can we have sound clips to play around with ... i always some how miss the contest bt this time i'll def make it !!!

monz
01-12-2007, 09:43 PM
how about guy hears some music n it takes over his body n he starts dancin 2 it against his will??

dude5487
01-12-2007, 10:28 PM
What a list...I dunno what to vote for.

My votes are...

Emotional or awkward stillness (just saw your pet get run over or walked into something embarrassing)
Animate to your favorite movie line (10 Second Club where are you!?!)
Getting hit by a projectile like a ball or a bullet.

I also like what musashidan voted for.

When is it finalized?

krugar
01-13-2007, 06:33 AM
I really like the - Annoying the still-as-a-rock Guard on duty, could be very funny

SirRon
01-13-2007, 05:29 PM
It's really safe to say that the "movie line (10 second club)" topic will always be available. But should you be able to pick your own quote or have an assigned quote just like the club? That's the question.

My votes would be:
-Movie quote
-Guy loses something important.

danb
01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey what happened to 10 second club? Anyways, i like the idea of having a sound clip to animate to. Either a voice clip or a music clip would be cool.

gdemo.s5.com
01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
the talking to plants gave me an idea
malybe talking to baby or cute little animal and then a total change of emotion like turns and yells at someone then back to the baby

SirRon
01-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey what happened to 10 second club? Anyways, i like the idea of having a sound clip to animate to. Either a voice clip or a music clip would be cool.

http://www.strutyourreel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2352

looks like it's moving to strutyourreel.com

danb
01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow, down for good eh? Or at least that's what it sounds like from the thread on that site. Its too bad. At least they are going to pick it up on that other site, hopefully.

mttjss
01-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, down for good eh? Or at least that's what it sounds like from the thread on that site. Its too bad. At least they are going to pick it up on that other site, hopefully.

I heard that the person doing it at Strutyourreel wont be able to pick it up either. Sounds like it might be dead for good. too bad.

Matt -

SirRon
01-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Well it shouldn't be hard to pick it back up here. Just a random movie quote and good to go. I don't think we'd be able to have a nice way to list the submissions or an an archive of previous animations on a server. But the important thing is to get back the contest.

danb
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Well it shouldn't be hard to pick it back up here. Just a random movie quote and good to go. I don't think we'd be able to have a nice way to list the submissions or an an archive of previous animations on a server. But the important thing is to get back the contest.

Maybe this Animation Session Forum will do just that.

dudeacle
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Originall by SirRon

I fully agree, this is a fun and constructive competition we have going here. This has been great practice for alot of us. The more animation competitions out there the more publicity animation will get as an art form. I embrace strut your reels future competition and i plan on competing in it. We should expand this competiton and make it more official on cgsociety. I will look into this.

Back to the competition. We should animate to a 5 second audio clip. That way we can keep the competion at three weeks. I think everyone should pick their own audio to animate to, while also recommending audio for others.

SirRon
01-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I just realized that if we were to do an audio clip like 10 sec club, then it would be nice to have a month deadline.

I already have my audio picked out btw :)

danb
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
What about the models? Are those provided or can we use our own?

SirRon
01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
What about the models? Are those provided or can we use our own?

Use any rig you can get a hold of. Preferably something already made so you don't have to spend time making one.

danb
01-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Use any rig you can get a hold of. Preferably something already made so you don't have to spend time making one.

Ok, sounds good.

mandeep
01-16-2007, 10:34 AM
hey so when can we get started ?? i m itching to get started ........................ nd hey i was also thinking that one has to be given only one sound byte to contest on, diff sound files in one competion can get kind of confusing ..... ??

do tell me wat u think

p.s. plz decide asap !!:bounce:
cheers
Mandeep

dudeacle
01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Quoted from ManDeep
hey so when can we get started ?? i m itching to get started ........................ nd hey i was also thinking that one has to be given only one sound byte to contest on, diff sound files in one competion can get kind of confusing ..... ??

I believe your right. It will be confusing if we do different sound clips. When everyone posts thumbnails and key drawings for different audio clips how will we know if they hit the right pose without hearing the audio? I think it would be best if everyone animated to the same audio clip. And we should use an audio clip from a not-so-known movie.

mandeep
01-17-2007, 06:22 AM
When can we get started ?? :scream:

Junerahe
01-18-2007, 05:11 AM
I vote for

getting hit by a projectile
rooftop chase

they're the only ones I can do with my rigs in the state they are.

musashidan
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
There seems to be quite a bit of interest here,what say we pick an audio file and start animating before the enthusiasm begins to wane.
I'm not trying to be pushy,but it would be excellent if this thread picked up momentum and we got a regular animation excercise/challenge going.

Nodixal
01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
i like the dancing unwillingly one :)

SirRon
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Looking at what people have voted so far, it looks like the top two are:

-Lost something important
-Movie quote

I'll look into an audio clip from a movie and some place to upload. What's a good free place to upload files? How's Megaupload (http://www.megaupload.com/)?

I'll start the session Friday evening (PST). Any objections let me know.

dudeacle
01-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks for heading this one up SirRon :)

krugar
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow can't wait :bounce:

Nodixal
01-20-2007, 02:31 AM
when are we starting? :)

SirRon
01-20-2007, 02:52 AM
when are we starting? :)

2 minutes ago :p

doodlerboy
01-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi, do you guys know where I can go online to figure out how to rig and animate a face? For facial Animation.

danb
01-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi, do you guys know where I can go online to figure out how to rig and animate a face? For facial Animation.

There is a forum for "Rigging" here on CGTalk. Also do a search in the forum for which 3d program you use. As this will be most important to creating facial morph animation, because each program addresses this in its own way.

Good luck.

RussellStenberg
02-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Hiya

I was reading the first part of the post and thought I'd give a quick update. Over on Strut we do have a month long animation contest. It's still young, only the second month, so theres still some kinks to get worked out in the submission and voting system but it is up and running, the current clip is from Anchorman.

I am the guy that was running the contest back on 10 Second Club for the last few months of it's long lived life. After a trojan got on the servers and tried installing it on everyones computer that went there Rob Starr and I decided to pull the site for obvious reasons. We had talked about revamping it and updating everything making it look 20th century and what not but I lost contact with him. Infact it seems like everyone has..... But thats why the club ended up going away, with him having the actual "RIGHTS" to the club there was nothing I could do to save it at that point.

After that I switched to Strut right when they were revamping so we're trying to incorperate some of the 10SC setup and whatnot.

But not to take people away from here, everyone has their own preferenced sites, I just wanted to inform the people we do have a contest.

Russ

P.S I don't admin the monthly comp I admin the "bi-weekly art challenge". The current topic is "Your favorite cartoon character(s) from the 80's". We accept sketches, color, no color, finalized pieces, something scanned off of a napkin you drew on at denny's at 3am well sobering up......just something to get people off the computer and on paper for a bit.

Fede
02-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I haven't had a chance to enter but i like the fact that here there is an option for a physical or acting assignment.

Strut only has an acting option. I'd like to practice more physical stuff.

Hope to join session 6

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2007, 05:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.