PDA

View Full Version : HARDCORE MODELING!: Ray Harryhausen Tribute: Creature

MatsM
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
The plan is to model Talos from Jason and the Argonauts
I did consider Kali, but I think I will do just one in the allotted time.

Now the funny thing is that I haven't actually seen any of Harryhausens films except for Clash of the titans, which I loved both times I saw it. It's like I could've seen these films anytime I wanted but haven't. I've always fellt a bit wierd when animators say that he is the one who inspired them, because they grew up with his work, but the thing is I grew up with their work, so if it wasn't for Mr Ray, I would have the people who made me get an interest in digital art, like Dennis Muren, John Lasseter, Robert Rodriques and allot more. So this is a tribute to my heroes hero so to speak.

I've also challenged some of the people at work for this.. Now just see if they take the bait. I think a free lunch is in it for the winner. :) hehe (locally that is)

Day 1: Gathering the reference and buying the movie. (days left until 15 february will be here :) )
Not going to do any modelling yet, just gather pictures and start on a "leonardo" drawing of Talos.

Good luck everyone.

robo3687
01-10-2007, 11:26 PM
good luck Mats

I've never actually seen any of Harryhausens films.....lol....i've only seen a couple of youtube clips and clips from other sites of my skeletons...

Cameo
01-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Talos is a great choice, one of the most convincing creatures along with Medusa for my money. Are you planning to model him atop his vault or standing?

MatsM
01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
robo: Youtube clips, good idea, I'll hunt there for some Talos clips :)

Cameo: I'm planning on modelling the vault too yes, but only to create a series of images with him on the vault in his start position but also with him wandering around some kind of seashore. In some of my ref he even has a sword :) great suprise.

I'm planning on getting some baseshapes for his body down this fine friday evening.

I only wish I had zbrush or mudbox to do some more detailing with afterwards. Hmm, maybe later.

More to come

Cameo
01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Yea I think with all the really big guys (Kraken/Talos etc) its worth having some kind of set/environment, however simple, just to give the creatures a sense of scale.

RobertoOrtiz
01-15-2007, 03:16 PM
FYI to all:

ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: New Dateline.. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=451551)

-R

MatsM
01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Phew it's been a while since I could work on this.. What is it with this real life getting in the way??

I should say day two, but it's more like day fourteen allready. Attleast I did get started,

It's all modelled by eye actually, so the proportions are a bit strange for now.
I decided on starting on the head (so I can cut short and make a bust) But I still have a whole month left untill deadline so I think we're good :)

The plan is to model the helmet as a seperate piece, and then add it on.

And then I will start on roughing out the body. I did get nice refrence for the feet, so they might get more attention early on. Im planning on making it as much like the original as I can, so I'll try and get the arms and shoulders as identical as poosible.

So heres the picture

Pinoy McGee
01-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Head wip looks pretty close to the ref. Looking forward to helmet update.

:thumbsup:

MatsM
02-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I finnally managed to get some time to do some more stuff on talos,

so here is a helmet update, and bits of his upper torso,..
I'm basically just putting in shapes, and not worrying to much about quads and tris at the moment, very baad I know.. But Im planning on getting Polyboost, or attlest watch some more of my gnomon dvd..

Im not really a character modeller, but this is really fun :)
Plus I ordered a locitech g5, they are great to model with, it's the one I've got at work, but at home I currently have a wireless ms mouse that has some wierd buttons that has to be pressed very precisely and still wont work all the time, and a laser that on an angle from how you hold the mouse, so the whole thing just screams REPLACE ME... (Im just rambling now)

Time taken till now,
an hour on gathering ref
another hour modelling the head
and two hours on the helmet and upper torso

Will have to get some more done over the weekend, now that the deadline is coming closer

And now for the update image

Cameo
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Youre making good progress there Matsm, keep it up. My one suggestion would be to round out the forms a little more, at the moment you can still see the underlying cube/angular shapes.

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.